Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
How to communicate without yelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

How to communicate without yelling

I am so happy to be a mom and love my child.  I would like to find other ways on how to talk to them without yelling. I find myself saying the word no over and over and it's draining. My youngest is almost 2 but she does not talk as much yet. She is very smart and understands the word and even knows when she's doing something that's. Bad BC she would look right at me than move away. Bottom line I will just like to know another positive words to say without yelling that she will be able to understand also.
Hi there.  Yes, really good to not yell.  Push your tongue to the roof of your mouth as it prevents yelling.  Also, my friend and I came up with this.  When we are feeling stressed with kids---  we imagine a camera on us that is showing our actions to the world.  Somehow that helped us handle things a little differently.  

Two is hard.  Three was harder for both of my boys as was four.  Five is when it gets a lot easier.  

Just remember that her actions are testing you and that is what they are supposed to do.  Kids test their boundaries.  Don't look at it as 'bad' or wrong but part of the process.  Lovingly just keep showing the boundary.  I often made a "u u u u" noise and my kids would look and stop.  I also did things like this----  if my kids were yelling in the car, I'd pull over.  I'd sit there until they noticed and they'd say "I can't drive if you yell."  That worked wonders with my kids.  Another thing to say when they are doing something is 'Not safe'.  Say it with a firm but calm voice.  

Work on talking to her a lot, reading to her a lot as all will help with her comprehension.  I also found that getting out of the house was beneficial---  we went to parks almost every day.  I had two boys 15 months apart in age that were bundles of energy, so this really helped our days go better.

good luck dear.  They do eventually grow up
Yes I do take her to the park when and we go on walks BC she loves that. I have read that reading to your child also helps so I will continue to try that as well.  What is a uuuuu sound?
I just want to get out the habit of yelling the word no so any other helpful words are great.
UUU sound . . . LOL .  Well, picture no no no in a sing songy voice but it is un un un.  man, I need to do it for you so you undersound.  My kids immediately respond to it.  Heck, my dog responds to it now.  Dang, wish I could just do it once for you and you'd say 'aaahhhh' as you've heard it before.  

Lol oh okay