Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Muscle Cramps in a 3 yr old child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Muscle Cramps in a 3 yr old child

Hi, I have a 3 yr old son who has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming that his legs hurt. Then it moves up his back. I am not sure what is going on. I am thinking that he is having muscle cramps but don't know how to help him. He is very active during the day and every yearly check up has been very normal. He's only 28 pounds and just had croup. Can someone please help me?
I have heard of children having "growing pains" in the legs but whether this is the case, I don't know.  Does any one out there have any experience with "growing pains"?
There is another mom out there asking about the same things in another forum on this site.  A lot of parents are posting about their kids having mysterious leg pain.  My daughter 4 yrs old, wakes up sometimes complaining of pain in her legs.  Sometimes she even says it hurts during the day.  I just read an article in a doctor's office magazine about the "growing pains" theory.  They say that a lot of kids begin feeling pains between 3-6  yrs old and again around 8-12.  They can't actually feel themselves growing and causing pain but its something to do with the growth plates.  But with your son having pain radiate to his back I would ask a dr.  What I have heard about growing pains doesn't say anything about back pain.  
My almost 3 yr old son has woke up the last year every night with pain in his leg/foot he will scream/cry at the top of his lungs for over an hour at a time with pain i have tried warm washcloths wrapping his legs/feet,motrin,and massaging them i took him to the doctor twice over it so far and they keep telling me growing pains because they dont know what exactly it is, it really bothers me to watch him hurt like that and me not be able to do anything to help him, and its an every night thing for the last year! so if it were growing pain then my son should have done growed alot but he is 30lbs and has been for the last year, my son is under average for his age chart! Does anyone have anymore infomation on anything but growing pains?? im tired of everything being based on growing pains! he has been my very sickly child, i read in another forum last night that another ladys grandson experienced the same thing and they kept telling the mother it was growing pains and comes to find out it was bone cancer, ive read up on it and theirs 2 types (ewing sarcoma,and osteosarcoma) they only affect the legs,arms,pelvis,spine in small children and teenagers more likely for boys! it scared me to death so im making him another appt with his doctor, or it could also b Childrens RLS but if your child is complaining with leg then back pain id honestly get a second opinion!! i hope your little one gets better soon!! God Bless