Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
My 2yr old woke up w/a limp?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 2yr old woke up w/a limp?

My son is 2 yr old. He has had cold like symptoms and fever off and on since Saturday night. Well, Sunday morning he woke up with a limp. I know he didnt hurt himself the day before. I thought maybe he slept wrong and had a leg cramp but my son always sleeps on his back. Well throughout the day it progressively got worse to the point where he would just sit and didnt want to really walk on it. So I took him to the ER..they did x-rays and bloodwork and said it was fine and they don't know what caused it-that it could be a number of things and told me to just take him to his normal doctor today. Has anyone had this issue or know why he still has a limp?
My son had the same thing when he was almost 3.  Went through all of the same things, wouldn't walk, xrays, blood draws.  It turned out that some of the virus that he had settled in those joints and irritated and inflamed the tissue and joint.  Ibuprofen and we made him camp out on the couch for a couple of days.  Never had another problem.

Good luck!  I know it's scary!
My daughter had the same thing TWICE now, once at the age of 21 months and again at 3 years. Both occured after a mild cold. We were told it was called Toxic Synovitis, when the cold virus settles into the hip joint. She limped for almost 3 weeks before it resolved. It is very uncommom for it to happen more than once, but was told in some kids it settles in their chest or sinuses and for some reason hers likes to settle in her joints.
My daughter is 18 months old and has not been sick at all. She has not fallen or had any injuries. However, she has been limping (right leg) for a few days and has been a little dizzy for about a month. It's strange- she will walk right into things or sometimes she'll just lose her balance and tip over. Again, nothing else is abnormal. She eats great, is playful, energetic, and has regular bowel movements. We are taking her to see the pediatrician this morning. In the meantime I'm driving myself crazy looking for answers on the internet...UGH! What could this be?
my daughter also does something similar !
she has been walking since she was 10 months ( now 18 months old ) but about 3 months ago she got up one morning and just screamed when i put her on the ground and fell into a heap, not knowing something was wrong i let her cry for a while as she is often sooky in the mornings after 20 min or so she crawled off to play, i remember thinking why is she crawling ? but thought nothing of it at the time... a few days later when i noticed she was still crawling more than usual i talked to my bf about it and we decited to wait a few days and take her to the doctor, in that few days we noticed she would not jump , ride her trike , dance.... any or the things she would usualy do that involved her legs... and other things like she wont bend her knees when she get up or sits down.. she will bend forward and use her hands to sort of walk down to a laying on her tummy position and swivel to sitting up from there... and do the same but reverse to get up theres alot of other small thing as well. We took her to the doctor who couldnt tell us anything so he ordered an exray for the following day but told us to go to the hospital if we feel it cant wait till then... when we got home baby girl was still in pain and nurofen did nothing to help... we dicited to take her to the hospital to have the exrays done.
The exrays came back normal ( hips , legs , feet )
so they did some blood test that were also normal ( as far as i know it was only 2 tests for basic blood work like white blood cell count etc ) they discussed but ruled out arthritis ( i dont see how when they didnt test for it ) we were given a refferal to a specialist, we went and saw him and he had a few thought about it, he said that given her size ( shes a big girl, 14k at present ) and that shes been walking since 10 months ( unnasisted ) her body might not be able to handle it or something like that... he also said she may have to much calcium in her bones because she drinks so much formula 5-6 250ml bottles a day and suggested we dilutle the formula a bit so instead of 3 scoops she now has 1 and the bottle is only filled to 200ml..... He also said that it could be a mental thing as in shes doing it for attention but i dont think this is the case as she is in genuine pain and i dont see a 15 months old ( at the time it started ) being smart enough to know that " if i pretend this hurts mummy will pick me up " or " ok when they touch me here ill cry " i know my daughter well... and i can see when she is in pain as any mother can with there child, i feel that because i am a young mother the doctors are not taking me seriously with this.... the specialist charged us $280 for that information and saidif we take his advice it should subside in a month or so...... its been just over two months and nothing has changed... i will be taking her to the childrens hospital as soon as i can see the local dr to get a refferal but i would love to hear some other parents thought about what's going on... it realy starting to get to me seeing her like this every day, theres times she will bend her legs with no hint of pain but a moment later she will be stiff again...
Reading this thread is frightening because it's so similar to our experience.

My beautiful wee girl ( also 18 months old and been walking since ten months ) has developed a sudden limp.

It started last week where she was sent home from nursery with conjunctivitis, at the docs she was checked her over he noticed  had a bad chest and ear infection too and prescribed antibiotics. Was amazed she hadn't been grumbling about it- she really is a trouper and rarely makes a fuss about anything.

She stayed at home with me all week and I noticed she was a bit clumsy and just not herself... Wanted carried lots or to go in her buggy- not like her at all! Occasionally would just topple over.....Thought it was her ear infection.

On Sunday her daddy took her to the park and he said she fell over coming off a little step, she cried a bit but was fine, afterwards she was limping badly.  ( just before tho,  she had been limping a little after lunch and he ended up carrying her to  the park so I'm not convinced this was a big injury, think the limp / weakness was already present )

We took her to the children's hospital and after no tests, just an xray that showed nothing, they just watching her gait and diagnosed a toddlers fracture saying that you don't often see them on X-rays till ten days after the event when the bone starts repairing, but that they wre sure as toddlers fractures are so common

( there was no swelling, marks , bruises or localised pain in her leg )

They put her in a short leg cast ( tho everything I've read about toddlers fractures says long leg cast )

She was walking and even running faster than her friends by wed, but on thurs and fri she started deteriorating again and shuffling with little half steps, only wanting to be cuddled and carried... On fri afternoon she woke up screaming and had some sort of fit- eyes wide and staring and her body rigid with lots of drool coming out of her mouth. It was terrifying. We took her back to the hospital where she started to perk up and by the time she got into the treatment room she was singing loudly and being her cute wee self again...... They diagnosed febrile convulsions and said she'd be fine.....

I'm just so anxious, feel there's something else wrong.

Might I add , that like the othe children with limps, , she never acted like she was in pain, even when her leg completely gave way and she fell over; she'd just look confused, say "ugh ohhhh" and awkwardly stand up and again and try and walk..... Singing and playing silly games all the time.

I really feel something is wrong :( hope to hear something xxx

Kindest regards and love to all the poorly babies xxxx
   I took my two year old son to E.R.  He had a fever 102.3 at 4am.  He slept until 10am and woke up limping and he did not want to walk on his right leg.  The E.R. did an X-ray and blood work. His CRP Serum level was 1.34 the norm is 0.00 to 0.80 and white blood cell level was 4.38 again the norm for this is 4.20 to 12.00 both acutely high. Based on my self-investigation with the elements such as 1.Age (2 yrs) 2. Fever  3.CRP Level   4.WBC level  5.Limping and the same experience to E.R.  I believe it's is “Toxic Synovitis” linkhttp://www.childrenscolorado.org/wellness/info/parents/69204.aspx

The Big Question is why didn’t the E.R. doctor catch this... now, hold on. I still have to follow up with the pediatrician tomorrow.  But if this what I think it is “It's not good”.  Why didn't the professional's catch this? I’m just a blue-collar worker. Ps. I will be complaining.  I work and earn my insurance for this. I’ve heard cases of people taking their children home and the worst happening. Ask questions.