Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Toddler abandonment issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Toddler abandonment issues?

My daughter is 2-1//2.  During that time, her father has lived with her in 6 homes, and had 4 live-in relationships with women and their children.  My daughter has become attached to these women and their children, and acts out for about 6 weeks after a break up.  My question is; can this type of change in relationships cause my daughter to have abandonment issues?  Okay, I have two questions.  Can these situations, along with the fact that both myself and her father suffer from mental illness, contribute to her having mental illness in the future?

Thank you so much.
I am sorry to hear about such disruption in the life of a toddler.  The situation is not ideal by any means for any of you, but especially her.   Have you talked to your judge, lawyer or case worker about getting her out of his care or away from his orbit on the basis of all of these changes?  Do you and your ex get along, and if so, can you discuss this?  If you both have mental illness, would you consider finding her a permanent living arrangement away from his sturm und drang and yourself also if you don't think you could care for her full time?  It would be arguably better than her being bounced all over.
Thanks, AnnieBrooke.  I am seeking full physical custody at this time, and will hopefully have it resolved within a few weeks.  My depression is under control, thanks to cymbalta and ongoing talk therapy, and I am a full time student doing very well.  However, I know that because I have suffered from depression all my life, my little girl has the predisposition to mental illness already.  So, I'm going to try to get her into my home with visits with her dad.  Unfortunately, I'm hearing from people that because her dad isn't abusing her physically, it's unlikely I will succeed.  But, I will try because I need to protect my daughter from all this chaos.
Hi jtown9, I want to say I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. If it were in my hands, I will let your daughter stay with you. Be brave and stand tall! I am praying for you.