Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
When did you start potty training?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

When did you start potty training?

I am curious as to what age you started potty training and how you began the process.  My son is still too young, but we have put the potty out for him to get used to seeing.  He looks at it, sits on it, etc..  I don't want to start him to young or push him, so I am wondering if there are clues they give that say's they might be ready to start?  Thanks for the input.
Look up some of the good articles and books on the subject, and try not to sweat it.  Boys (especially smart ones, my pediatrician says) seem to take forever.  I let my son play with his potty chair from age 2 on, and he did think it was entertaining to pee in it occasionally (and we always made a huge positive fuss when he did).  But until he got enough language to understand the explanation of the concept of "feeling the urge," I didn't have any way to explain to him about how to know when it was time to sit on the potty.  So I didn't bother to do anything with underpants or very focused training until then.  We did buy a potty video once he was already going to the bathroom in the toilet, and he watched it as though it was a documentary.  He also got cues in preschool, where he was in a class where half the kids were training and half were still in diapers.  There are also toilet seats available at Home Depot that have a built-in child seat, and he was excited when we bought and installed a couple of those.  It's all about making it more exciting than the ease of simply peeing in one's absorbent and handy diaper.
Oh, and with all of this rather laid-back approach, here's how he did in terms of time.  He stopped pooping in his diaper about 8 months ago (he's now 4).  He only poops in the toilet, and holds it fine.  He can control his pee such that when he's on the toilet, he makes it come at will.  He wears underpants successfully at preschool, but sometimes asks for a diaper or pullup when he comes home, and I've tended to let him have one if he wants one since the underpants-training is relatively new (only in the past three months).  He's still in diapers at night, but that's pretty much the last bastion to fall for most kids, so I'm not worried about that at all.  

When wearing underpants, he almost always will go to pee in the toilet when he needs to pee.  Occasionally, he will say to me, "Mommy, I forgot I was wearing underpants," and that means he's peed in his underwear, but that doesn't happen often.  

I don't care quite as much as possibly some moms do about making the final break with diapers, because (like that diaper-wearing astronaut who drove 800 miles without having to stop to use a restroom), I have to say it's kind of handy not to have to stop the car and find a bathroom all the time for someone saying "Mommy, I have to pee!" from the back seat.  He does use toilets readily at the grocery store or restaurants, but our house is 15 minutes from any place like that, so I still often will put him into a diaper when we're headed out the door.  Unfortunately, I think my days of enjoying that slight convenience are numbered, as he has taken to complaining that he has to pee even when he is in a diaper.  I'm glad -- almost thought the day would never come -- but somewhat rueful for the slight lost convenience.  lol

Interestingly, about having to have the language link in order to do potty training ... we were snuggling up the other day, and I started to talk to him about some of the little-boy things he likes to do now that pretty soon, he will probably have to get ready to give up.  (He still likes to suck on a bottle every now and then for stress relief, and I was thinking of that.)  He thought about this a bit, and said, "Another thing like that is not wearing a diaper.  I'm still learning, but I almost know how."  He said it in a confident, unworried way, which pleased me and made me think the end of all diapers is near.  (And a woo hoo to that!)

A lot of moms would think this is appallingly late.  But my son's pedi said it can take that long, especially for an only child, so I just never pushed on it.  (Kids model on their older siblings if they have them, and can train by age 2 1/2 without trauma mostly just by observation, but we had no such handy role model in the house.  Daddy obviously wasn't close enough in age.  lol)
Thanks for the great info.  I too think that a laid back approach is probably best as I have read that pushing the issue too much can scare them off of it.  Thats why even knowing he is far to young to be beginning we just have it sitting out.  Kind of trying to make it familiar and non threatening to him.  But maybe it's too early to even be doing that.  I will keep reading, and appreciate the great advice (as you always provide!)
My son is turning 4 on the 10th and he has been completely pottly trained for over a year..I didn't push my son at all..I listened to what he was telling me through his cues...the first clue that any child is ready to be potty trained is that they can wake up from naps and a full nights sleep completely dry...then I would suggest having your spouse take your son in the bathroom and show him what he is supposed to do...I personally had my spouse make a game of it..they started playing "swords" which they would just cross the streams of pee..I know it sounds gross but it made the process fun for my son..and always give lots of praise when he does use the "big boy potty"...