Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
co-sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

co-sleeping

Am 21weeks pregnant and my 3 daughter sleeps with us and I have tried to break her of it and can't
Need of help please
I hear you...my 3 year old son is also a co sleeper and just will not stay all night in his own bed.  At this age I don't think there is much you can do about it beyond locking him in his room and letting him scream it out.  For us, we have just decided to go with it until he decides he doesn't want to anymore.  Sorry, just no other real advice to give you.  It's hard when they are older.
Thanks that's the point am at. Don't want to fight it any more
My oldest coslept with us until she was 17 months...we were expecting a baby who would be cosleeping so we knew we needed her in her own space...can you pull a crib up next to your bed and remove the rail? So she is next to you but has her own space? That's how we transitioned my two oldest to their own spaces...when I was pregnant with our second, we moved our first into a "sidecar" crib...and then when she was 3ish she sked for her own bed and the rest was history....she started sleeping in her own bed in her own room without a second thought. Our middle child (who is 2 1/2 now, our oldest is 4) is still sidecar to our bed in his crib while our littlest (11 months) is cosleeping...but we are expecting another baby in July so we will be shuffling beds soon, moving the 2 year old into his room and the 11 month old into the sidecar crib.

My long winded point is...I've been there. Several times lol. In my opinion an experience it's best to encourage them to have their own space in your room as a first step,,,and then encourage the idea of their own sleeping space in another room without being pushy. To them, there is no "age where you are too old to sleep near mommy and daddy" so they have their own timetables that may not coincide with ours. I think it's healthy to encourage independent sleeping but not push the child too far. It's ok to try new sleeping arrangements and if they don't work, try again a few days later. Just start with a small move into a bed next to yours...then maybe you AND your daughter sleep in her room for a few nights...then back to your room for a few nights.,.then back to hers. I don't know many teenagers who cosleep and most who do have other issues lol so rest assured it will happen. Just be encouraging and patient, you will sort it out when everyone is ready :). I do recommend the sidecar so baby and toddler aren't sharing a sleeping space...you have several months to get it, but start now so she's well established in her new routine by the time baby' arrives so she doesn't feel displaced

Good luck! It takes time but she will eventually be ready for her own space.
My daughter is almost 3 and their was a point in time where my husband worked out of town for a month and she slept with me. It was really hard to break her of it to where we even put her crib back in and took her toddler bed out. It seemed like she would never do it.

We put her bed back, and it took a good 5 nights of arguing with her but she did it. And she wouldn't even want to sleep in our bed. Do you have a TV on in her room? My daughter does. And she has a little bunny she has to sleep with every night. Those things worked for me. if you stay stern and don't give in you can break it. Good luck :)
my 2 1/2 year old sleeps with us. We have moved his bed into our room and he was actively sleeping in his own bed until I was home alone one weekend and he slept with me. Consistency is key. It takes about 2 weeks to change behavior sometimes so just stick with the routine. When you put children to sleep and they get up to come into mommies bed, take them right back to their own bed. Even though you are exhausted and it is easier to just put them in bed with you, it just reinforces them to think you will cave. I need to follow my own advice! =)
I am  almost 31 weeks pregnant and my 3 year old son comes over to our bed "almost" every night in the middle of the night and sleeps with us ....I recall do t have any idea why he is not just staying in his bed cause after he comes over he falls right back to sleep.....another problem in having is he won't fall asleep in his bed I hold him In the chair downstairs then carry him to his bed sleeping .....its going to be a pain doing this with a newborn and a 3 yr old here in a couple weeks ...uhhg