hysterical toddler
my two year old daughter goes crazy when strapped into her carseat.She scratches her neck,her face turns beat red,she strains herself in attempting to get out.She will do this the whole time we are in the car 15 minutes to 45 minutes she can be distracted for short amount of times but always goes back to screaming.Any sugestions?
Does she resist being constrained in other situations? For instance if she sits on someone's lap and they hold her tight, does she wiggle? She may not like that feeling. Or she may just not like the tight feeling of the straps of the car seat. Do you have any of those soft fuzzy sleeves that people put on the straps for infants? See if she likes those. Get a bunch if you need to, line the straps from shoulder to buckle if they seem to make her more comfortable.
Nothing like needing  an hour just to get out of the driveway, huh?  And we all love the high pitched squeals our little ones can make while trying to focas on the road . . .  the above poster has good questions and advice.  Make sure the straps on her car seat aren't too tight (right before we changed our son into a bigger car seat---  the straps really were a little too tight).  I have two boys 15 months apart in age.  I've always had to be strict about car seats-----  it goes on or we don't go.  I also won't drive if they are carrying on.  I will pull over but usually just have to threaten if they get out of hand.  They can't stand this.  I've done this since they were 2 and 1.  I also try to get them in as fast as possible.  Lastly, maybe a book or little toy you keep in the car could distract her while you strap her in.