Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
my son wont eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

my son wont eat

my 2 1/2 year old son wont eat anything... i have tired everything.. even junk food... hes always hungary.. but wont eat hes just wants milk.. when i dont give it to him.. thinking he will evenutally eat... im wrong.. he will starv... doctor tells me he is just a picky eater... but i dont think that is the case... i get him snack food... i cook for him, i make him pancakes ... nothing he just looks at it and turns way... he is loosing weight... i give him vitimens but i no its not enough... please help

My grandson was the same way............he turned 3 in July! He is just now eating! He would eat very little.....but loved his milk! I would tell his mama..if he didn't drink milk,he would starve! I was so concerned about him....he didn't loose weight,tho! He is just slim!

I tried the with holding milk thing,too! It didn't work........or i didn't give it time to work! If the Dr. doesn't seem concerned....i would just keep a close eye on him...for sure monitor his weight.....just keep trying to find foods he will eat....Gavin just started eating on his own....he drinks very little milk now....he eats good!! Better than i thought he ever would!! Just hang in there.....he probably will start eating better the older he gets! There are some little kids that never outgrow the picky eatings...........but they grow up to be fine! It's just a trial and error thing....Best of luck!............Janice
Thank you so much for sharing your concern about your son not eating.  My daughter is same age and she wont eat.  Our doc said the same thing too.  So hopefully our kids our just going thru a stage.  I know it probably breaks your heart like it does mine.  I can't stand when she doesnt eat.  She has some good eating days, but it's simple stuff like a bowl of rice or noodles.
This is my big question for you and other posters: sure, it makes sense to stop pestering the child and take the attitude "if they're really hungry, they'll eat." But, this DOESN'T WORK FOR ME! All I end up with is a toddler with low blood sugar and behavior problems. When his blood sugar gets low I really belive he loses control of himself - I could hear his tummy grumbling during his tantrum.

I am totally stumped on this - my three year old would like to live on candy, cookies and ice cream. My approach (for the whole family) is: you can have a cookie after you have eaten some "brain food" (produce or protein). My youngest will have a complete fit over this, and we can enter into an hour or longer temper tantrum. The other day he probably went close to 6 hours without eating *anything* because he wouldn't eat the nutritious food I packed for lunch, and I wouldn't give him a cookie until he had a nutritious snack at home. He also won't eat anything for breakfast except dry cereal and a cup of hot chocolate (made with milk). He used to eat eggs and bacon, peanut butter and jelly, oatmeal with milk, but now nothing but dry cereal.

My husband suggests I let him have one cookie, then ask him to eat "brain food" if he wants more. Already tried that - it just moves the tantrum from "I want a cookie" to "I want another cookie." I could leave him alone and give him a plate of 5 cookies and nutritious food, and let him choose what he wants, but he would just eat all of the cookies, feel full, and then have another blood sugar drop in an hour, putting us right back where we started! I feel bullied into parenting in a way that just seems wrong to me, and it doesn't even save me any hassle!

The irony is that for my oldest son, I never allowed this stuff, except for special treats, and he self monitors just fine. I keep a few cookies in the house (no candy or ice cream) because my oldest son, husand and I like an occassional treat. I have already put a total kabosh on candy, and have tried to on cookies as well. But even if we don't have cookies, we still have the same temper tantrum  - "I want a cookie!" and no other eating happens. Once in a blue moon - usually for dinner - he will eat really well at dinner.

I would love to hear what other parents experience in regards to the failure of the "they will eat when they are hungry" theory. I am all for letting kids move at their own pace and have some control, but in this case it is causing too many problems. Comments?