Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
potty train a 13 month old????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

potty train a 13 month old????

When is a good time to start potty training mu son he is almost 14 months and he is always wanting to follow everyone in the potty ??????
He's too young to know how to control his bladder and bowels,  and predict when he will need to "go".  If you train him right now,  you'll face a year of racing him to the bathroom.

Kids are usually about ready at 2 1/2 year old.  Parents who train earlier than that are in for a much harder time.
I agree with RR.  And I can tell you as well that the average age for boys to potty train is actually about 3 1/2.  My little guy is almost 3, and is just starting to express interest.  My Pediatrician was very clear to me that pushing him would have the opposite effect.  He'll let you know when he's ready.  13 months is so young.  It's pretty rare for a child to even have any bladder or bowel control at that point.
Ok i wanted to see because he had a but rash and he  didn't pee for almost two hours  and he was just in sweat pants, and so i was just getting a feel for when would be a good time to start trainings.
This is exactly how one of my son's began his potty training experience.  I was doing child care in my home and had several toddlers at the same time.  Every 2 hrs a timer went off.  The children would hear the timer and know it was time to line up to use the toilet!  I had 2 potty seats on the floor and one that sat on top of the toilet for the older toddlers.  My 13 month old was forever following the other older children in the bathroom.  He would pull on his diaper, trying to remove it.  Finally, and just for fun - I began allowing him to sit on the floor potty seats without his diaper too.  On the second day that I did this, he actually peed!  All the kids laughed and danced and made a big deal about it.  Of course, so did I.  He received lots of positive reinforcement for his "accidental potty".  I continued allowing him his turn and most of the time- he actually went pee.  Then one time, he suprised me and pooped when another child was also going poop.  Children love to imitate the actions of others, especially other children.  This child virtually trained himself in this way.  He was completely "day trained" by the time he was 15 months old!  

My suggestion.  Take advantage of his curiosity and allow him his turn!  You will encourage positive behavior and avoid a common problem that parents often face when trying to potty train later.  That being "fear of the potty chair".  Its true that most children, at such a young age, are not aware of the feeling of need until its too late; however, once toileting happens "on the toilet" and they receive that positive reinforcement, its a whole new ballgame.  Consistency is the key.  Set an egg timer for every 45 minutes at first.  Offer them the toilet.  Once this becomes successful, go to 60 minutes, then 90 minutes and finally every two hours.  
My daughter is 11 months and we just started training, because she keeps pulling her diaper off. It's working ok so far
Alright thanks for the suggestion i will have to try this. He loves that we say big boy and clap together.
I would not recommend, it needs to be at least 18 months old to start potty training....: i would instead recomend you to start introducing the potty, and playing games, and reading stories about potty training....also, i also dowloaded a great potty training app called potty training learning with the animals.......then after months of theory,,start the process...that will definitelly make it succesfull and easily!
I'm starting his potty training and he almost 19 months and he doing great . Not on the potty but he is close. Thanks for all the imput
My daughter just turned 2 and is completly potty trained. She even sleeps at night with no diaper or pull up and has no actsidents. My family acted like i waited to long. My mom had all 5 of her kids potty trained by 14 months. Everyone in my family starts
As soon as baby is walking good. And all the old people in my family always say"back in my day if your child was not potty trained by 2 you were considered lazy" haha but everyone works at there own pace i belive