Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
potty training

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

potty training

My daughter will be 3 in March, shouldn't she be going on the potty by now? I bought her little panties and I knew she would be excited about that, and in the beginnig she was and she would put them on and go on the potty a couple times (never poop though) then after a couple days it was back to diapers or she would flip out....I tried putting nothing on her and when she had to poop she would ask me to put a diaper on her, so she knows when she has to go...but she would flip if i said "no diapers" go on the potty...she got really upset..and I really don't want her holding it in, so i would give in and put the diaper on. for a couple weeks now, there has been NO potty at all...i have showed her whenever I went to the bathroom and I tried charts with stickers that she could put up when she went..again she had fun with it at first but that ended quickly...I never force her, they say that could make it worse...so I  just ask her first thing in the morning and she says no, and i leave it alone...am i worring too much? is she still too young? she has a little brother who of course is still in diapers and I'm wondering if that could be it..she always wants to do what he's doing or to wear what he's wearing...I try very hard to give them equal attention, but he's still a very active little boy who i have to chase around....is she regressing a little? i don't know...any advice would help!!! thanks!
Don't force the issue, but bring it up as much as you can. Remind her that she's the big girl. Don't be afraid for her to 'flip out' - remember that YOU"RE the adult and the mom who's in charge! =) Good luck
Toilet training is a hard thing my daughter is 3yrs 3mths old and she is only just wee trained we tried the potty, tried the charts even tried offering her a strawberry if she went, it all worked for a period of time, she too used to ask for a nappy, until one morning i got her up and said today your going to be a big girl, there are no more nappies/diapers we only have enough for night time, here are your "big girl nickers" and you are going to use the toilet and be a big girl like..(use someone older than her she enjoys to talk about or spend time with) dont go back on it otherwise it teaches her she will eventually get her own way, if she wets her nickers and wants to change, say ok but we will try harder to make it to the toilet next time, for us the potty didnt work we brought a seat and step stool thing for the big toilet and put a couple of books and toys in there that she could only play with when she went to the toilet, be prepared for her sitting on it for 10 mins and not actually doing anything, if she starts to hold herself like she wants to go, pick her up and pop her on the toilet no words then she cant argue lol.
start on a day when your going to be home and fill her full of water or juice and pop her on the toilet every 30 mins for 5-10 mins each time (an egg timer or hr glass is good here ) you can also use your son if hes old enough to sit on the potty, ie little boys sit on the potty and big girls sit on the toilet show your brother how you do it and have them both sitting on the toilet and potty :)
another method you can try is by going to a shop without her we have the $2 shop over here where everything is $2 and you buy 5 toys and wrap them up and put them in a box all decorated as rewards for going to the toilet, everytime she goes she gets a toy, then you extend it to everytime she goes to the toilet for 3 days etc she gets a toy.
for the pooh side of things were just starting with this one.. were using the Toilet or
Poo fairy, because kids get so scared of letting no2's go we say drop the poo flush the toilet and the pooh fairy will leave a chocolate under your pillow (u can use anything here that your daughter likes to eat!)
anyways our pediatrician said once kids approach the age of 3 there bladder grows in size and can hold alot more! i was soo worried as all the kids around us were trainned and my daughter was the oldest and still in nappies/diapers so i made the decision to focus on tt her! try not to yell or tell her off, just use positive things like try harder or neve rmind accidents happen etc otherwise they tend to associate toileting with yelling and get all over cautios and start throwing wobblies as soon as you suggest going to the toilet. all kids are different, my daughter pretty much trained herself, only occasionally when she gets really busy playing she holds on too long and has an accident.

good luck