Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
severe adhd and mood dis-order in a two year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

The nuerologist has diagnosed my two year old son with sever adhd and mood dis-order, we have tried depokote liquid and it did not help my son @ all, he actually said it burned his mouth, my son can  not stay focused on one thing at all, he is very mean and has violent outburst towards me. He can not calm down at all, he will run and be wild for hours at a time with no break and I have to make him sit down with me and break for a minute. I took him to mcdonalds play land yesterday with the hopes it would wear him out and he ran until after 2am, He just wont stop, I cant stay up that late its just a bit much for me and I need some advice as to how I can control it, His dr now has him on depokote sprinkles but thats hard for him to take as well he doesnt like meds as any child doesnt. and even when I get him to take them it doesnt calm him dow at all. Can someone please give me advice and just for everyone to know I dont believe violence helps so I will not hit my son. My father dooes believe in it and thinks he just needs to get whooped and OI refuse, i am a firm believer in not hitting my child...
first,  I'm surprised a doc would prescribe Depakote for a child whose main difficulty seems to be hyperactivity.

And I'm REALLY surprised they'd give that to a two year old.

Depakote is mainly for seizures,  but also has been used to treat mood disorders and experimentally,  migraines.

I didn't realize it was used to treat ADHD,  and wouldn't be surprised to hear it doesn't affect his high energy level.

What happens if you give him a small cup of coffee,  heavy on the milk and sugar?  A child with true ADHD will calm down noticeably with caffeine.  

What is your baby's father like?
Actually depakote is more commonly prescribed for add/adhd now ------it has been used as a mood stabilizer for a while and they've found that it does work on add/adhd.  Kids get less sensitized to it which is seen as a benefit.  

BUT, a two year old seems far too young for this.  They did change the guidelines about appropriate age to treat.  It used to be 6 years old and I'm a fan of that number when you are introducing major medication.  The new DSM age for diagnosis is 4.  

have you instituted occupational therapy for your child?  I highly recommend it.  They give you methods to slow a child's nervous system that will help calm them and regulate their nervous system as well as begin to work on behavior modification.  

good luck----   we've had tremendous success with occupational therapy.