Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Help me! so confused
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Help me! so confused

I am a first time mother, and I have been researching this, but cant come to a conclusion.  I have no idea when to start giving Cole water or baby food, people food, or what kind or juice or cereal. im so confused.  He is almost 4  months old. any lists or ideas from other mothers out there? thank you
I have read and heard that babies should not be given any thing other than breast milk or formula until they are 6months or over that is according to the WHO.
Better to check with the Ped to make sure :)
Yeah i would just ask your pediatrician, i know my mom started giving me and my siblings formula (or breast milk depending on which of us it was lol) mixed with a little bit of the baby cereal at about 4-5 months but that was almost 10 years ago lol.
You can start giving your baby solid foods like rice cereal around 4 months, but most pediatricians recommend waiting until they're around 6 months.  They need to have grown out of the tongue thrusting action they have whenever something enters their mouth (its a reflex against choking).  There's really no reason to give them solids any earlier, except to expose them to different tastes (and because for some reason we mommies cant' wait to see how they'll react!)  They will still need all of their nutrition from breast milk or formula at that point. When you do start, make sure you dont' add anything new for at least 3-5 days so that if he ends up being allergic to anything you know what it is. That means if you start with cereal, make sure it is a single grain cereal.
My pediatrician told me that I could start solids at ~4 months. But solids should not replace formula/breast milk. My DS was drinking 30-35 oz of formula at that time and even though I added a serving of food my ped told me he should continue to take 30-35 oz of formula. I started solids at ~4 monts but added them very slowly. He only had 1 serving/day of rice cereal for 3 weeks and then I started adding 1 veggie or fruit every week or so. I asked my ped about water at the beginning of the summer b/c it has been a hot and muggy summer. He told me that I could give my DS a little bit of water if he is hot or thirsty but not hungry. Again, my ped told me that the water should not replace the formula/breast milk.  I just put up a post about juice b/c I was not sure myself. My DS is 7 months and I have not started juice yet, but may give him very watered down juice soon.
With Benoit, I started to give him some oatmeal cereals (1 grain) last week-end. I just add it to his regular evening bottle: he loves it! In 2 weeks I will switch to rice cereal. Not sure yet when I will try the spoon, probably around 4.5 months.
you can start to feed your baby anytime from four months on starting with the baby rice that you mix with the formula. It is light in taste and it allows them also to learn how to take from the spoon it made up of there formula so it won't taste much different, obviously you can wait till they older but it depends on there appetitie and how content they are on only bottles. As for cooled boiled water yes you can give that it'll just help with any constipation or a build up of food, it also very good for there skin.
I actually have a question my son is my fourth baby and he is 5 and a half months old, all my other children slept all night long from the week to two week mark but this little bundle of joy has changed everything i know :) he finally settled at night when he went onto a spoon feed at around the four month mark(he was nearer three and a half months) but now around the last week he waken up at four in the morning for a bottle then wants to play for a while before goin back to sleep but it hard as he noisy  chatting and banging away on his cot and his 20month old sister in the next room. as you have probably gathered he loves his food and always has he is a big buster doesn't look five and a half months :) he even has two teeth fully up and two more crowning. any opinions grateful
krichar commented on Risa615's status
Nov 24
krichar commented on mhv's status
Nov 19
krichar commented on photo
Nov 19