Keeping a newborn cool in the severe heat!
Hi Ladies,
My little boy is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and we have a heat wave occuring here in the Bay Area in California.  It is going to be 95 degrees today and since this only happens about twice a year we don't have AC in my house.  Usually, we just get through the few days with lots of fans ect.  Problem is it gets very hot in my townhouse yesterday it was 80 degrees inside.  Everyone that has AC that I know works, so I can't go hang out with anyone.  I can take him to the mall or something for a while, but as all of you know it is impossible to stay out long with a newborn when they need to be changed and fed so often.  If I keep in hydrated and in the coolest spot in my house with fans will he be OK?  I'm worried he was very fussy yesterday, but did drink more bottles than normal so I know he is hydrated! Is a cool bath alright?
a lukewarm bath is okay...and if it's REALLY steamy you can wet a pair of socks and put them on him...it won't chill him because it's not exposing his head or his chest/back to coldness but it does help cool him off...just make sure if he looks cold (his skin begins to pebble or if it becomes spotty like when he just gets out of a bath and is cold) then you take them off and dry his feet.

just remember...all of our parents survived without a/c so your little one won't suffer terribly from it, he'll just be uncomfortable ...and hopefully the heat wave will pass sooner than later!

just make sure that if he's wet OR if he becomes sweaty that he's not in the direct line of the fan...they can become chilled VERY quickly. just put him in a diaper, put cooling socks on his feet, you can use a damp towel and sponge him off to cool him but make sure he's not in the fan if you do that...and other than that don't worry.

like I said our parents survived even the worst heat without a/c and I live in FL so I get stories all the time about miserable summers that my parents lived through without a/c...so I know that your little one will be just fine..especially with such a caring mommy who's worried about his comfort :).
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
krichar commented on Des_a_rae's status
Jun 22
krichar commented on Sheaby's status
Jun 19