Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Keeping a newborn cool in the severe heat!
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
84 members

Hi Ladies,
My little boy is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and we have a heat wave occuring here in the Bay Area in California.  It is going to be 95 degrees today and since this only happens about twice a year we don't have AC in my house.  Usually, we just get through the few days with lots of fans ect.  Problem is it gets very hot in my townhouse yesterday it was 80 degrees inside.  Everyone that has AC that I know works, so I can't go hang out with anyone.  I can take him to the mall or something for a while, but as all of you know it is impossible to stay out long with a newborn when they need to be changed and fed so often.  If I keep in hydrated and in the coolest spot in my house with fans will he be OK?  I'm worried he was very fussy yesterday, but did drink more bottles than normal so I know he is hydrated! Is a cool bath alright?
1 Comment
a lukewarm bath is okay...and if it's REALLY steamy you can wet a pair of socks and put them on him...it won't chill him because it's not exposing his head or his chest/back to coldness but it does help cool him off...just make sure if he looks cold (his skin begins to pebble or if it becomes spotty like when he just gets out of a bath and is cold) then you take them off and dry his feet.

just remember...all of our parents survived without a/c so your little one won't suffer terribly from it, he'll just be uncomfortable ...and hopefully the heat wave will pass sooner than later!

just make sure that if he's wet OR if he becomes sweaty that he's not in the direct line of the fan...they can become chilled VERY quickly. just put him in a diaper, put cooling socks on his feet, you can use a damp towel and sponge him off to cool him but make sure he's not in the fan if you do that...and other than that don't worry.

like I said our parents survived even the worst heat without a/c and I live in FL so I get stories all the time about miserable summers that my parents lived through without a/c...so I know that your little one will be just fine..especially with such a caring mommy who's worried about his comfort :).
krichar commented on krichar's status
1 hr ago
krichar Done Christmas shopping for... Comment
Oct 20
krichar commented on photo
Oct 15