Steralization
My son will be 6months old in about 10days and I am preparing to introduce him solids.
At the moment I nurse him exclusively so he's never been bottlefed.
I was wondering if I should be steralizing the utensils I will be using for him to feed solids.
Today I caught him on 2 occasions.. once licking the carpet (or trying to scratch his itchy gums on the carpet) and the next moment trying to chew one of my slippers.
I spent a good part of today on my hands and knees trying to clean the carpet as much as I can..
And it made me wonder why even bother steralization...!!

When did you stop steralization for your babies..
I have to be honest...I am not the best when it comes to steralization.  I wash everything in the dishwasher (rinse them well first) and that's pretty much it.  Never had a problem, and I attend some of those public health clinic classes, and it would seem that is what the majority do.  If you don't have a dishwasher, just use hot soapy water.  

I haven't really steralized beyond that since I started him on formula at 4 months.  Bad on me?  Maybe.  But I also had the same thought...everything goes in that childs mouth.  I told his pediatrician how I was doing things and she had no issue.  I do steralize in boiling water at least once a month, but that's pretty much it.  And I mean nipples, bottles, dishes, spoons, all of it. He is healthy as a horse.  Oh, and the pediatrician told me that there is a lot of evidence pointing towards more sickly children because some do steralize everything.  She say's they need a little dirt in their diet.  
As usual Thank you for your advise Amanda.. I am just going to stick to hot water and soap.
We have a dish washer in this condo. But it's a very old machine and since we are renting this place I am not sure how clean the dish washer it self is. I don't trust that...rather not take any chances.  :)
I too used the dishwasher after rinsing them in hot boiling water everytime for the first 4 months. but I bottle feed so i had alot to do.  Now at 5 and half months, I just clean out the sinks with hot water when Im doing dishes.  then I fill it up with steamy hot water and soap and only put the bottles and nipples and stuff in alone, let them soak for a few then wash em up, rinse them with scolding hot water. then lay them out to dry and use that water to wash up the rest of the dishes.  Im a clean and germ freak!! everyone makes fun of me.. i run after cole if he tries to put anything in his mouth lol...  and im ALWAYS cleaning.  .. and I do agree to an extent with adgal, that they need alil of that in there lives or they wont build and immune system, and eventually ill stop being so psycho lol...   I started cole on cereal a few weeks ago, and he uses a lil baby bowl and a spoon, but im not as crazy with them as i am with his bottles, those i just wash with the rest of the dishes. so maybe thats my way of not being so psycho with things hahaha....  
Thanks Ammanda.. I was not a germophobe before my son was born.. but now I have become one. Another one of those "Joys of motherhood" i guess. lol!!
I just wish I had the energy like you to clean all the time :D
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
mandaszoo commented on photo
45 mins ago
mandaszoo commented on photo
46 mins ago
krichar commented on Saw the babies again ...