Parenting newborns and infants, up to 1 year User Group
Steralization
About This Group:

This is a group for those of us who have newborn babies, or infants anywhere from the newborn stage up to a year since there is not a forum specifically targeted for that age group. I think it's very important that people have this forum to share experience and gain advice on the small things involved with newborn/infant care...and this is also a place for new mothers (or fathers!) to speak about the difficulties (or joys) about their new babies, and to get support if you feel like you're struggling with adjustment. Please note::: this forum is NOT a substitute for medical advice. If your newborn has any potential medical problem, seek professional medical help immediately. DO NOT WAIT FOR AN ANSWER ON THIS FORUM. Call your pediatrician or take your child to the nearest ER or Urgent Care Center. Any indications of serious distress, high fevers, excessive vomiting, lethargy, fussiness, lack of appetite, etc are all things that must be evaluated ASAP by a medical professional so please seek help and do not wait..newborns are delicate and time spent waiting could be vital. With that being said...please feel free to ask any and all questions about the day-to-day care involved with newborns and infants, and if you feel as though you're having trouble adjusting please feel free to speak your mind and vent your concerns here and get the support you need. Congratulations on joining our community, I hope that you find the friends and answers you're looking for! I also recommend this group for pregnant women who can hopefully learn some very helpful tips for once their bundle of joy arrives!

Founded by Ashelen on August 17, 2010
85 members

Steralization

My son will be 6months old in about 10days and I am preparing to introduce him solids.
At the moment I nurse him exclusively so he's never been bottlefed.
I was wondering if I should be steralizing the utensils I will be using for him to feed solids.
Today I caught him on 2 occasions.. once licking the carpet (or trying to scratch his itchy gums on the carpet) and the next moment trying to chew one of my slippers.
I spent a good part of today on my hands and knees trying to clean the carpet as much as I can..
And it made me wonder why even bother steralization...!!

When did you stop steralization for your babies..
I have to be honest...I am not the best when it comes to steralization.  I wash everything in the dishwasher (rinse them well first) and that's pretty much it.  Never had a problem, and I attend some of those public health clinic classes, and it would seem that is what the majority do.  If you don't have a dishwasher, just use hot soapy water.  

I haven't really steralized beyond that since I started him on formula at 4 months.  Bad on me?  Maybe.  But I also had the same thought...everything goes in that childs mouth.  I told his pediatrician how I was doing things and she had no issue.  I do steralize in boiling water at least once a month, but that's pretty much it.  And I mean nipples, bottles, dishes, spoons, all of it. He is healthy as a horse.  Oh, and the pediatrician told me that there is a lot of evidence pointing towards more sickly children because some do steralize everything.  She say's they need a little dirt in their diet.  
As usual Thank you for your advise Amanda.. I am just going to stick to hot water and soap.
We have a dish washer in this condo. But it's a very old machine and since we are renting this place I am not sure how clean the dish washer it self is. I don't trust that...rather not take any chances.  :)
I too used the dishwasher after rinsing them in hot boiling water everytime for the first 4 months. but I bottle feed so i had alot to do.  Now at 5 and half months, I just clean out the sinks with hot water when Im doing dishes.  then I fill it up with steamy hot water and soap and only put the bottles and nipples and stuff in alone, let them soak for a few then wash em up, rinse them with scolding hot water. then lay them out to dry and use that water to wash up the rest of the dishes.  Im a clean and germ freak!! everyone makes fun of me.. i run after cole if he tries to put anything in his mouth lol...  and im ALWAYS cleaning.  .. and I do agree to an extent with adgal, that they need alil of that in there lives or they wont build and immune system, and eventually ill stop being so psycho lol...   I started cole on cereal a few weeks ago, and he uses a lil baby bowl and a spoon, but im not as crazy with them as i am with his bottles, those i just wash with the rest of the dishes. so maybe thats my way of not being so psycho with things hahaha....  
Thanks Ammanda.. I was not a germophobe before my son was born.. but now I have become one. Another one of those "Joys of motherhood" i guess. lol!!
I just wish I had the energy like you to clean all the time :D
krichar, and Melissa_71 commented on melimeli's status
41 mins ago
krichar commented on Moma_Cher's status
krichar commented on Carly1306's status