babies and juice?
I have a 4 month old son. He has started the introduction to soild foods. The 1st baby foods (awww, my little boy is growing up). Would it be okay if we were to give him juice? We noticed some juice on the baby food aisle by Gerbear and were wondering if that would be alright to do. Isn't it already watered down or would we have to do it? What is the best age to start giving babies juice? And, if we did give it to him now could it cause digestive problems? This is my 1st child.
yes at 4 months most pediatricians OK some very watered-down apple juice. some recommend pear as an alternative but you need to ask your pediatrician this question specifically. My ped actually recommends starting 3oz of water mixed with 1oz of apple juice at 2 months but I always wait a little longer because it can give serious diarrhea, lol.

It's actually good to introduce some of the basic juices (no mixes quite yet) because it helps baby's stomach learn how to process nutrients from liquids other than formula or breastmilk.

Don't offer it more than twice a day at most, you don't want him to get too full on the liquids and miss out on the important nutrients from his bottle!

-the gerber apple juice is not watered down so you should dilute it very heavily...the mixure I mentioned above is perfect to start.

-you can start at 2 months according to AAP but it's better to wait until 4 at least IMO.

-nope no digestive problems unless he reacts poorly to it! expect diarrhea at first.

they do grow SO fast! what's his name?
My son turned 4 months old today.  I havnt tried anything at all yet excpet for formula, im thinking of trying cereal next month.  but i thought u wernt supposed to do solids until 6 months.. i guess everyone is different..

but about the juice thing. I didnt plan on giving my son juice ever, i didnt want him to have the sugar and stuff cause bad teeth run in my family.  but then someone told me, they are supposed to have juice. so I dont know. i would defiently dilute it.  prolly like Asheleen said, 75 percent water and 25 percent juice is what i would do.
My son also turned 4 months old and like Amanda I don't plan on giving him juice any time soon and once I do, he won't get it very often - it will be a treat. I give him a little bit of cereals in his evening baby bottle, not sure yet when I'll start giving him the cereals by spoon.
My oldest son is going to be 4 YEARS old next month - and he's never had juice!  He drinks milk and water, that's it.  There has only been one time that I wished he did drink juice, and that was when he had the stomach flu - drinking juice would have gotten some nourishment into him when he wasn't eating!!  We offer it to him from time to time, and he's not interested.  I think that's actually a good thing!

My youngest is 7 months old and I don't plan on offering him juice until much later, like when he's over a year old.
Well ladies I do have to say that I gave my daughter juice like her pediatrician recommended when she was about 4 months....but to this day she only prefers water. she doesn't like milk all that much and juice only once in a blue moon...so I don't think that it's necessarily going to turn a baby into a sugar-holic to give them juice...but I don't see much point in it either. We're not going to be as adament about it with Grey as we were with Kahlan.

I understand that it's supposed to be good for their digestion and helping to mature their stomach's absorption but idk ...I've always felt a little mixed on it. I didn't know better with Kahlan and only had the ped to go on but I think Grey will be more like 6 months before we introduce it, but I do know from research that it helps their digestive tract "learn" to process nutrients more efficiently from less "loaded" liquids like breastmilk and formula....do I think a baby can do fine without it? absolutely.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
hopeitworks commented on cheekyhalfs's status
Aug 26
krichar commented on photo
Aug 23
krichar commented on KeeLolo's status
Aug 19