Parkinson’s Disease Community
Ischemia of the left basal ganglia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Ischemia of the left basal ganglia

I am a healthy 53 year old male. In the last two weeks I have had what could be interpreted as the beginning signs of Parkinson's disease: tingling in the extremeties, muscle weakness in the deltoids, biceps, and pectorali major, as well as some occasional weakness in the left wrist and right ankle. An MRI revealed a small ischemia in the left basal ganglia. Because Parkinson's is a disease that affects the nerves leading into the basal ganglia, and because the basal ganglia are associated in some way with muscle control, I wondered if an ischemia in the left basal ganglia would possibly cause the symptoms listed above. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.