Parkinson’s Disease Community
Manganese Poisoning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

Manganese Poisoning

About two years or so I was exposed to a high levels of vaporized manganese.  I was trying KMnO4 as an oxidizer in home made rocket motors.  I tested many small motors in my garage and probably didn't have enough ventilation.

Around that time I started having muscle twitches, and then a few months later I read online about manganism.  I had a blood test done that had 24ug/L  IIRC that was slightly high.  I'm not sure.

Anyway, I didn't think a whole lot of it afterwards, but now my muscles are often stiff, I'm always tired, I have restless legs, my hands shake constantly and I get cramps.  A couple times I've been walking and needed to change direction quick and fallen because my legs didn't do what I wanted them to.  

Is there anything I can do?  Everything I read says that the drugs used for parkinson's aren't effective when it's caused by manganese poisoning.

Is it worth spending on the money on a doctor at this point?
  Yes it would be worthwhile to follow up with a doctor. A neurologist who is a specialist in movement disorders would probably best able to help you.
There are generally outpatient movement disorders clinics at most hospitals. You could discuss with them the symptoms you are having, what could treat them and the potential response rate to them. Long term conditions such as manganese poisoning if diagnosed are best followed up on due to their long term effects. Another treatment that is sometimes used is chelation therapy and you can ask if that is another potential option, dependent on diagnosis and the doctor would best be able to follow up within their clinical discretion.
From what I've read, chelation is only effective in the first months after poisoning, and even then there's little evidence that it's effective in manganese poisoning due to the chelating agents inability to penetrate the blood brain barrier, and in only one case was a decrease in Mn deposits in the globus pallidus noted following chelation.   Not worth the expense in that case as far as I can tell.

If welders using manganese rods with a couple percent manganese at best developed manganese poisoning I can't imagine I would have been spared burning compositions containing 80 to 90% KMnO4 in a relatively enclosed area.  Unlike potassium nitrate based compositions, these made very little smoke and it didn't smell bad so I didn't worry about what I was inhaling.  I was more worried about measuring thrust and ISP.  In total I burned more than a pound of KMnO4 in six months.  Also, from my PubMed reading manganese is far more dangerous when inhaled than swallowed.  That's little use now, though.

Basically I'm wondering if twitching, shaking hands, Charlie horse like cramps (everywhere) the occasional fall because I couldn't change direction quickly enough sound like symptoms you'd see in manganese poisoning.  My wife wanted me to mention that I walk a little funny, and that I'm frequently losing my voice, not fully, but it comes out really quiet and if I try to raise it it just cracks.  I'm too old for puberty by a longshot and this never used to happen, and it happens out of the blue.  I'm a boss at work and I admit, it ***** trying to explain why I fell or why I'm losing my voice constantly