Parkinson’s Disease Community
how long?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Parkinson’s disease, anger, anxiety, depression, balance, facial stiffness, genetics, handwriting difficulties, speech movement difficulties, nutrition and diet, rigidity (stiffness), sexuality, swallowing difficulties, tremors (shaking), walk (shuffling), and work issues.

how long?

hello all
how long does it take to diagnose parkinsons ,i ask because i have been under the neuroligist  for approx 9 months,i have had cat scans mri scans,prescribed propanolol to no effect and now propanine ........one of my relatives used to care for some one diagnosed with pd and has said my symptoms are very similar to pd.
the medications are also supposed to help with the tremors i suffer the propanolol didnt,i am also been referred to a movement specialist ,what i want to know is how long does it take to diagnose pd.
i wait with baited breath thanks
  Yes generally Parkinson's is diagnosed within that time frame. They may have concerns that it might be another condition. It would be worthwhile to ask them about this. The medication they prescribed can often be helpful on tremors but every person responds differently to each medication so if you dont find its helpful for you then you could ask about other options.
I have had Essential Tremor all of my adult lif, when I reached 70 years of age they thought I may have the on set of Parkinson's.  Three neurologist's could not make the call if I did or I didn't .  In March of this year they came out with a new test which they claim would diffidently tell if you had it or not.  It is called a Da  TScan, for me it was negative.  
You may wish to find a different neurologist as a few years ago I had a great number of Parkinson's symptoms except for the tremors that just last year popped up.  That first neurologist did several basic test in the office and had either a CT scan done or a MRI I cant remember which now and said that I was fine other than my gait, walking was a bit off.  The regular MD that I was using at that time and who referred me to that neurologist told me that all these symptoms that I had complained about were basically a figment of my imagination and basically said I was nuts.  Well I changed MD's right after that but decided not to bring up any of my problems with the new doctor since it was supposedly all in my head.  Then I started getting tremors in my left hand and mentioned that to her and she had me walk down the hall and back and said that I was stiff as a board and should see a neurologist.  It was a couple of months before I was able to get in to see this new guy and I took that he must be good to be that busy and he did some of the same little test plus more in his office and had me walk for him.  After about 20 minutes he said that he was sure that I had Parkinson's but said he wanted me to take a Dat scan which would rule out any other type of neurological problems.  He said PT, CT scans and MRI's are useless when it comes to PD.  When he got the results of the Dat he was positive and started me on Ropinirole which got rid of the tremors.  So a good neurologist is very important and should know that not all people with PD have all of the symptoms but know what to look for to diagnose it.  I have often thought about going back to see my old md and inform him that it was all in my head which is where PD is.  Good luck to you and I hope you get some help.