Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
9 year old daughter has TSH of 823
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

9 year old daughter has TSH of 823

My daughter is only 9 years old and her TSH level is 823!!!!   After reading others symptoms at levels much lower levels I am quite concerned.  We didn't even know she had a Thyroid problem until the doctor noticed she had decreased on her growth chart by 40% at her well-child check-up over the past few years. This concerned him, and he ran several tests and bone age studies.  Her T-4 level was 1.2, but her bone age study was near normal (immature by 16 months - which he said was good for more growth potential).  She started on Synthroid 50 micrograms two weeks ago and has up days/down days.  We go back in two weeks to have her levels re-checked.  Other than sleeping a lot (she loved to nap) she is top of her class, very intelligent, and just an all around great kid!

Question 1:  Does the higher the number mean more cause for concern?

Question 2:  My husband also has Hypothyoidism and his levels were greater than 900.  He is on 300 micrograms of Synthroid.  His father died at age 32 of Non Hodkins Lymphoma due to Agent Orange exposure while in the Navy (also had Hypothypidism).  Could the results of the Agent Orange exposure be passed down through children?   Grandchildren?  I just think it is odd that all three generations have glandular issues with extremely high TSH levels.

Very concerned parent....