Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
9 year old daughter has TSH of 823

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

9 year old daughter has TSH of 823

My daughter is only 9 years old and her TSH level is 823!!!!   After reading others symptoms at levels much lower levels I am quite concerned.  We didn't even know she had a Thyroid problem until the doctor noticed she had decreased on her growth chart by 40% at her well-child check-up over the past few years. This concerned him, and he ran several tests and bone age studies.  Her T-4 level was 1.2, but her bone age study was near normal (immature by 16 months - which he said was good for more growth potential).  She started on Synthroid 50 micrograms two weeks ago and has up days/down days.  We go back in two weeks to have her levels re-checked.  Other than sleeping a lot (she loved to nap) she is top of her class, very intelligent, and just an all around great kid!

Question 1:  Does the higher the number mean more cause for concern?

Question 2:  My husband also has Hypothyoidism and his levels were greater than 900.  He is on 300 micrograms of Synthroid.  His father died at age 32 of Non Hodkins Lymphoma due to Agent Orange exposure while in the Navy (also had Hypothypidism).  Could the results of the Agent Orange exposure be passed down through children?   Grandchildren?  I just think it is odd that all three generations have glandular issues with extremely high TSH levels.

Very concerned parent....

The tsh is the hormone that the brain makes to tell the thyroid to get moving, if it is elevated much like a thermostat it is because the gland is not doing its job, with Dad having hypothyroidism chances are she has autoimmune  hypothyroidism often called Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the rise in tsh is pretty high but she is not an infant going around without thyroid hormone for brain development so long term sequelae in a child who got treatment appropriately should really be neglible, I would followup with your peds and ask to see peds endo for once a year at least visits.
I do not think this is related to agent orange as this is really a common problem with no real directly known cause other than the tendency to have autoimmune problems and this indeed will run in families.
Your husband is on alot of synthroid but maybe this is just what his body needs for his size.