Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Acetone breath
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Acetone breath

My 23month old daughter last weekend woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and vomited twice, next day didn't eat or drink very much and still had the fever through the next night. At some point during the weekend I notice an odd chemical smell on her breath that I realized was acetone (nail polish remover). I'm positive she did not drink something she shouldn't have. The viral symptoms and funny breath smell went away within 48 hours. I've since read about ketonic hypoglycemia and I'm concerned she may have this. She had almost a similar episode a few months ago and I ended up taking her to the ER for dehydration. They did mention then she had ketones in her urine but didn't seem concerned about it. I called my pediatrician's office this week and the nurse made me feel like a complete idiot. Should I insist on a fasting blood sugar or urine test for her? I have a glucometer at home because I had gestational diabtetes when pregnant with her. Should I test her with that first this in the a.m.? What level should I be concerned with? Thank you.