Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Surgery Time...

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Surgery Time...

I just recently turned 14 years old. At age of 11 I started having visual problems with my right eye. After seeing a optomologist I got referred to a neurologist, endocrinologist, and neurosurgeon. I had appointments with these doctors every 6 months and MRI scans every 6 months also. I suffer from very bad headaches in the back on my neck. My endocronlogist was thinking that it could just be a puberty enlargement, but after it not going down and getting larger through 3 years they have started to change their minds. I have no pituitary hormone abnormalities. All my hormones are fine. All I suffer from because of this tumour is very bad headaches in the back of my neck and having a blurry right eye. I got a letter today from my hospital say that im am booked in for a transphenoidal removal of my pituitary tumour. I have no idea what this is and what is going to happen. It is happening in 1 week's time. Please give me some information, Im very nervous. As well as telling me what is going to happen, could you tell me the risks coming from it.
Where are you parents??!! You cannot be trying to understand this alone, have them call your neurosurgeon and discuss this thoroughly before you have surgery, this is called informed consent which a 14 year old cannot consent to.
So you did not mention a tumor in your description till the end, what kind of tumor and are you at a Children's Hospital
The optic nerves cross just around the pituitary gland. When there is a tumor on the pituitary or above like a craniopharyngeoma this can affect the vision and may be the first sign to look further. The hormones in the pituitary may be secreted in excess or be normal or be low depending on the tumor.
I would want to sit down with the neurosurgeon, look at the mri together, have them discuss what they have found, what labs show and what your options are, they can always reschedule your surgery by a few days so that you are well informed.
Please talk with your parents and do this, it is very clear you are very mature and having to handle alot at 14, but you need to have the guidance of your family and your physicians to that you can just be the kid and let them take care of you and not have to worry so much.
Our prayers are for a speedy recovery.