Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
Toddler diabetes
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Toddler diabetes

I have adopted a two year old son. He is a little short for his age but he is stalky. When we first got him about 6 months ago he would eat anything and everything you put in front of him. Now he has gotten to where he will hardly eat anything but he drinks constantly. It doesn't matter what you give him to drink he will drink all of it and instantly want more. When he is drinking he drink he doesn't just drink it he downs almost the entire drink before sitting it down. When he finally does put it down it is only because he is out of breath. His diapers are soaked and always smell bad. His poopy diapers are also very fowl. He has not gained any weight since he have had him despite the first five and a half months were he would eat everything he saw. He also will drink anything he can including his bath water. If you tell him to wait on a drink because you are busy at the moment he starts crying uncontrollably. We have been told by friends to have him tested for diabetes but I'm not sure what the signs of diabetes are. If you could help me I would really appreciate it.