Pediatric Endocrinology Expert Forum
lumpy thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Pediatric Endocrinology forum are answered by Dr. Deanna L Aftab Guy. Topics covered include adrenal problems, diabetes insipidus, menstrual irregularities, obesity, parathyroid abnormalities, pituitary abnormalities, puberty concerns, rapid growth, rickets and bone disease, short stature, and thyroid.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

lumpy thyroid

My daughter was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease and the doctor said that she wanted to feel her thyroid for lumps or bumps. She said that she felt some small lumps, but thought it might be a result of the elevated antibodies. Instead of having an ultrasound now she thought it would be better to wait two months and see how it felt at her next visit.

I didn't want to make my daughter worry so I didn't ask what she is concerned about if there are lumps on the thyroid. Can you tell me what they will be looking for if an ultrasound is done and what it will mean for my daughter?
Related Discussions
310293_tn?1274743373
Hashimoto's is an autoimmune thyroid disease that causes enlargement of the gland and yes, it can feel enlarged with lumpy bumpy appearance but the ultrasound usually shows overall enlargement and rules out a cyst or nodule that may need monitoring. Waiting 2 months as long as she is well is not unreasonable especially if there is not one area that is overly enlarged. Sometimes an ultrasound is also helped with an uptake study to look at the function of the gland and how it takes up contrast and if there are areas more active than others or just overall the same.
Hope this helps.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, Why is my daughter experiencing these symptoms? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank