Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
12 year son having heart problems

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

12 year son having heart problems

Hi My 12 Year old son for the past few 2 years has been having heart problems  has passed out three times in the three years gets dizzy spells, very pale, heart palpatations, weak in the legs he also had a 24 hour holter monitor done the  conclusions was. the average heart rate was 81. the minimum heart rate was 46 at 20:53 (8:53pm) the maxium heart rate was 173 at 05:02am. Pauses greater then 2.0 seconds were 0. ventricular ectopy was368, with 14 v-runs and 42 v-pairs, ventricular bigeminy events were 2 and venticular trigeminy events were 1. supraventricular ectopy was 2872, with 5 sv- runs, supraventricular bigeminy events were 197 and supraventricular trigeminy events were 16. st episode minutes totaled 0.
sinus rhythm. no pauses. infrequent ventricular ectopics. very frequent supaventricular ectopics  5 runs of atrial tachycardia,  my question is dose this sound ok we have been told there is nothing to worry about and to just go to hospital if he passes out thanks for your time
Dear Heidi,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot say eactly what is going on with him.  As well, I would need to review the Holter monitor (and not just the report).  Therefore, my recommendation is that he be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist fully, including a complete history, examination, and review of the Holter monitor before deciding that there is nothing to worry about or not.
thank you i will get him to see a pediatric cardiologist. This part of the report was look at by a cardiologist and this is what he wrote (sinus rhythm. no pauses. infrequent ventricular ectopics. very frequent supaventricular ectopics  5 runs of atrial tachycardia) but then the doctor said it was all ok but thank you for your advice and i will be taking him to see a pediatric cardiologist I still just feel a little uneasy about this and he is still having dizzy spells