Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Aortic valve dialation

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Aortic valve dialation

My daughter is seven and half years old.  she had an open heart surgery in 2007 for closure of VSD.  and till then echo is going on every year.

Her Aorta size is 3.1 (Z score - 4.9) and it is decreasing since 2007 but this year it has increased from 2.9 to 3.1 so doctors advised to have echo after 6 months and then may be they will plan for next surgery for aorta root dialation.

Doctor said it is from nature that this child is having this no medicine can help.

so please let us know what should be size of aorta in 8 years girl child.  is it necessary to have surgery again in such a small child.

are there any other tests in which we can check her aorta size.

regards,

Daisy
Dear Daisy,

Aortic root dilation is something that can be seen in patients with bicuspid aortic valve, although it can be seen in other more complex congenital heart defects.  I am not totally aware of it being associated with a VSD only, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen.  

Typically, we worry about the aorta rupturing, or tearing, in patients when the diameter is more than 4.5 to 5 cm OR when there has been more than 5 mm growth in 1 year.  However, before that, we usually just observe.  I cannot say for sure what is happening with her without seeing her or her studies, but I will say that a change of 2 mm may be within the typical range of error of measurement.  This will need to continue to be observed, unless there are other concerns about her valve.  Certainly, for something as important as this, getting a second opinion would be very important here.
Hello Dr. Borris,

thanks for your reply can i send you reports in mail so that you can check and advice us.

best regards,

Daisy
Dear Daisy,

You can contact our Nurse Navigators for a second opinion through this link: http://www.chop.edu/service/cardiac-center/our-services/nurse-navigators.html