Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Closure of ASD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Closure of ASD

Presently my 3 years 3months old baby has ASD (Ostium Secundum) of size 8 mm with Left to Right shunt, Dialated RA & RV, No PAH. Doctor suggests device closure. I have consulted another Doctor. The Report is ASD (Ostium Secundum) of size 7 mm with Left to Right shunt, Dialated RA & RV, No PAH. Doctor opine that there is no need of closure of ASD at present & probably it does't require in future. We should observe periodically. Whether closure of ASD is really required? If I don't close the ASD whether it causes any problem in future? Please explain.
Dear Tufaan,

Atrial septal defects (ASD) are amongst the most common congenital cardiac defects that we see.  Without evaluating your child, I cannot say exactly what needs to be done.  However, in general, 7 mm defects with right-sided volume overload means that there is a significant amount of shunting occurring.  The likelihood of spontaneous resolution of this defect is essentially nil.  We do recommend closure of these defects because they can occasionally lead to pulmonary hypertension, or high blood pressure across the lungs, years down the road.  Also, there can be some subtle exercise intolerance that resolves after closure.  We typically close these defects between age 3 to 5 years.  Device closure in experienced hands has excellent outcomes with minimal complications or side effects, and has become the standard of care in those defects that meet criteria for closure.
am from india . This information regarding about my daughter health when she was 4 months old  our family Pediatric  doctor notice about her mummer .After that we have taken eco test then we found that 6.6mm OS ASD.  Dr. said that its going to be cure  .Is it going to be cure ?  .Can u guide me . Whats the reason for OS ASD, and what are the symptonm and whats  the next treatment? now she is 1 1/2 year old. What kind of food that we can gave  her regularly to cure OS ASD. My mother she has diagnose ADS when she was 38 years old  .Is it a genetic diseases. After open heart surgery she is oky now  she is 50 years .  Dear dr iam waiting for your replay .