Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Mid muscular Ventricular septal defect

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Mid muscular Ventricular septal defect

Hello Doctor,

My female baby is 30 days old. The doctor nearby found that her heart noise was observed differently and he requested us to scan and confirm if there is any heart defect. we did the echo test and found that she has 2.5mm size mid muscular ventricular septal defect. He has told that this is small and it will close automatically and no need of any special care or medication or any surgery. He has asked us to come back after 3 months. I am totally down after hearing it from the doctor.How critical is this problem. Is any special care needed. Kindly clarify me and eagerly waiting for your reply. How often this problem occurs and how many cases are cured automatically if you know.

Tags: small VSD
Small muscular VSDs are very common in childhood.  they are small holes in the wall between the two lower pumping chambers of the heart.  A 2.5 mm hole would indeed be small and likely will close over time.  the good news is that they do not increase in size.  if the remainder of the heart anatomy and function is normal, then you have little to worry about.  many children lead normal lives with this type of congenital heart condition. No medications are indicated.
It is true, a muscular VSD of only 2.5 mm has an excellent chance of closing on it's own without any surgery or medications. It's a very common problem, and small defects do commonly close or get smaller on their own.