Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Sharp chest pain 8 year old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Sharp chest pain 8 year old

Hello my question concerns my 8 year old that has been having sharp pain mid sterna area for about 3 years on and off. It has been increasing in frequency and intensity.His pain appears during play ,wakes him up and  does not appear to have any rhyme or reason to its appearance.( he has missed many days of school due to his pain)He has seen a pediatric gasterenterologist with eosinophilia colitis and delayed stomach emptying as the his dx .his gallbladder removed per his pediatric gastroenterologist and surgeon. They were thinking that this may be his chest pain problem and after surgery I asked if this would take of his chest pain and surgeon stated no as he found no stones. I am at a loss as to where to go and how to help him. I was also told that it may be psychosomatic. So we are going to take him to see a counselor  and pray that this will help . He was given Hydrocone for the pain but this does not seem to help.
Dear Kanuk,

Without seeing your son, it is difficult to say what is going on with him.  Of all the various causes of chest pain, the heart is the least likely etiology, though, especially if it is sharp pain.  That said, you should have him seen by a pediatric cardiologist to ensure that there is nothing else going on from a cardiac standpoint.
While I am not a doctor, a doctor will come to answer your questions. Something I can tell you is that "sharp" chest pain is rarely caused by a heart issue and is common in children and teens. Usually it is caused by a muscle or cartiledge issue. True heart related chest pain is more dull in nature and unless the child has a very serious form of cardiac issue where this can happen at rest, most of the time it happens while the child is at play and many children will self restrict themselves as a result. Having said all of that, it is always best to see a doctor about any kind of chest pain in your child. Has he seen a pediatric cardiologist yet, or do you have an appointment? I hope this helps a bit until one of the doctors comes on the forum to give you a more specific answer.  
Thank you for your reply, we are going to be seeing a pediatric cardiologist next week,and per our pediatrician we will be starting with an echo. again thank you.     bonnie
hi am no doctor nor specialist but i just suggest seeing a cardiologist for many reasons it can be i am 16yrs old with a heart problem and also have sharp chest pain please see a cardiologist soon hope everything goes well:)