Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Small muscular VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Small muscular VSD

Hello Doctor, a VSD was detected during my son's ante-natal scan. After birth, we took him for a cardiac evaluation. He was diagonised with a small muscular VSD around 2mm in size (L-R shunt). The doctor said that he needed no medical intervention, and was told to come back after 4 mos. as there was a high chance of the hole closing by itself. We took him back, still there was no changes. We were told to bring him back after 8 mos. He is now 13 mos old. Still there has been no changes. The doctor has told us to come back at age 2. He is not under any medication. The doctor said that the chances of the hole closing by itself decreases as he gets older. The doctor told us that the heart's function was normal. Please let me know your views about his condition. What would be the best way to deal with this problem?
Dear Azariah,

Assuming everything else in your son’s heart is normal, a tiny mid-muscular ventricular septal defect (VSD) that does not close should not cause a problem for his heart.  It may spontaneously close, or not, as time goes on.  The one risk while the defect remains open is an infection of the heart called endocarditis.  Therefore, good oral hygiene is the most important assistance you can give to your son.  In the end, many pediatric cardiologists are actually dismissing these patients from follow-up, as these children grow up to live normal lives without complications, with the exception of the risk of endocarditis, as above.
Thank you, doctor, for taking time to answer my query.
Dear Doctor, I obtained a copy of my son's report,today.I am perplexed by some of the terms. Inspite of assurances from our pediatrician, I am very concerned. In the report, under Impression, the following has been stated:
  Small sized mid muscular VSD with L-R shunt near the moderator band/PFO
  Small lower ostium secundum ASD
  No PAH
  Good bi-ventricualr function

Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

Dear Azariah,

Obviously, without being able to evaluate your son or the study, I have no ability to give clinical correlation for this.  There is a small VSD as well as a small atrial septal defect (ASD).  There is no pulmonary artery hypertension (PAH), which is a good thing, and the ventricles appear to be functioning normally.  These two defects are small, and likely should cause no problems.  They are also likely to spontaneously resolve by age 12 months, though that is not 100% guaranteed.