Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Subaortic VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Subaortic VSD

Hi, My son is 14 months old and was diagnosed with  a subaortic VSD hole in his heart.
I would like to know the implications of this hole. My cardiologist said the hole was small.  His growth and physical activity has not been affected. However when he was about three months old he was put on Lasix for about three months.  
We did another ECHO today and was told that the hole is still there.
How worried should I be? Is it something that will eventually close up?

Thank you for your time and consideration
Dear Ambhika,

A ventricular septal defect (VSD) in the subaortic area is MOST LIKELY the same as a perimembranous or conoventricular septal defect (though not always).  If your cardiologist says that this is the same as a perimembranous VSD, then the following applies.  Since the defect is small, it is not causing any problems with the function of his heart or lungs.  However, because it is below the aortic valve, the jet of blood going across the defect can cause the aortic valve to deform and to leak over time.  There is a small chance that the defect will spontaneously close, but it is likely not to.  He will require lifelong surveillance of his aortic valve as well as the defect to ensure that the valve is not being inappropriately deformed.  Beyond that, there are many many people who have these small defects and, other than a very slightly increased risk of an infection of the heart, have no problems throughout their lives.  It will be important to ensure that he has good oral hygiene lifelong.