Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
echo results

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

echo results

my 12 year old son fainted while riding his bike on saturday.. he had an echo done and the findings are:
1.there appears to be a left ventricular hypertrophy.
2.there was a left atrial dilation
3.there is  a tendancy for prolapse of  the anterior medial mitral valve leaflet.
4. the patient could be showing a tendency towards a cardiomyopathy.
5. this is my interpretation of the images i was able to view the rest of them keep freezing while trying to view.
MEASUREMENTS IN CM

AO:2.6 -LA: 3.1- LA/AO :3.1RATIO -MV EPSS:0.7 -FS:40% - EF:71% - RVD:2.6 -IVSd:0.7 - LVIDd:4.0 - PWD:0.9 -LVIDs:2.4

My question is : my son has an appt in 5days from now with a ped cardio..should i wait that long??
and does this sound like a cardiomyopathy?

Thank you in advance..mel
Dear Mel,

Without knowing your son’s height and weight, I cannot assess whether his echo-derived measurements are normal, or not.  That said, these numbers are somewhat confusing in relation to the interpretation.  The interventricular septum (IVS) measures 7 mm and the posterior wall (PW) measures 9 mm, both of which are likely normal in a 12-year old.  Therefore, I’m not sure exactly what is going on here, since they are saying that there is left ventricular hypertrophy.  This does not particularly sound like a cardiomyopathy.  It sounds as if the echocardiogram was performed by an adult echocardiography laboratory, which is not where you want a 12-year old to have his study performed.  At this point, I would just suggest that you not let him exercise until he is evaluated by the cardiologist.  Hopefully, this will not be a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is what is potentially suggested.
my son is 108 pounds and 4 ft 10inches..it was done by an adult lab but read by an pedio cardio..
does this help and thank you for replying