Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
DVT diagnosis

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

DVT diagnosis

To: Dr. Kirksey

I answered your question about how the DVT had been diagnosed in the "comment" box after your answer on my first post. Could you please look at the answer under that post?
Thank you very much.
There are some blood tests that "suggest" dvt however the most common diagnostic test is duplex ultrasound of the veins to determine the extent of dvt and the location. Those diagnostic features help to determine treatment. The risk of dvt is pulmonary embolus ( a piece of the clot breaks off and goes to the lung or heart) which can be fatal.

Many people with dvt have no symptoms prior to PE. It would be helpful for you to know how your dvt was diagnosed and where is was located so that you have that information for future medical considerations. thanks
Doctor Kirksey, thank you for your advice. I will ask my doctor how exactly dvt was diagnosed. As I said in my (rather long) comment on your answer on my April 23rd post, I decided at the time not to go on coumadin. I will review this decision with her, especially as I have  a couple of 10+ hours long flights coming up in June. I also read your blogs and found them very informative. I never knew you could check BP in the ankles to diagnose PAD. I looked on your website as well and read about the SilverHawk. What a wonderful piece of equipment! Will it one day be used to clean out blood vessels around the heart, making bypass unnecessary, or is that too risky? My dad died of a MI a couple of days after an angiogram, probably because a piece of arterial plaque broke loose during the procedure. But as I understand it, the SilverHawk collects plaque, so pieces won't break off. If I ever need some "clogged pipes" cleaned out, I'll be in touch! I am grateful for your time and advice. I have no more questions, but will continue to read your blogs on this forum.
A related discussion, Feel  your DVT? was started.