Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Expert Forum
aortic dissection

Questions in the Peripheral Arterial Disease forum are answered by Dr. Lee Kirksey, associate professor at The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. Topics covered include abdominal aortic aneurysm , amputation, arteriovenous fistula, atherectomy, carotid artery surgery , cholesterol , claudication, deep vein thrombosis (DVT) , endovascular aortic stent graft (EVAR), stent placement , stroke prevention, varicose veins , and venous insufficiency .

aortic dissection

I am a 30 year old healthy male that was involved in a horrible accident. I was diagnosed with a dissected aorta. I had partial clotting in the false lumen. I had open heart surgery three weeks ago to repair the aorta and had a screen put in my neck some place.My question is how long will I live ? And Is it true most people with clots in the Lumen don't make it past 5 years..........Please  be totaly honest with me I have 5yr old daughter.

Thanks for your time.
Hello
Aortic dissection is caused by a separating of the layers of the blood vessel wall which may occur due to trauma or most commonly high blood pressure. There are different ways to repair the vessel including replacement of the weakened area. It would be difficult for me to comment on your question without reviewing your xrays which would demonstrate how bad the injury was, where it was located. Additionally, what it took to repair the area and how the repair was performed is important. In most cases of a young person with otherwise healthy and strong tissue, the prognosis should be great. The information you may be referring to is for dissection for hypertension which usually occurs in older people and the numbers youre referring to our for people who dont have any treatment. Good luck
Thanks for your time, It was a cistal decending aorta disection and they (University of Michigan) did the repair with a cloth material.One of my concerns were later in life will the sutcher site on the aorta be at risk of failure causing some life threatning problems?
I also had a Gunther Tulip filter installed in my jugular and placed in the Vena Cava,due to some blood clots in the lower extremedies. Should I leave this in for the rest of my life or have it removed later in life ? (a few years)
Thanks,Josh
A related discussion, Chronic DVT was started.