Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) Community
Alcohol and BFS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability (PNH) and the various conditions related to it such as neuromyotonia (NMT), cramp fasciculation syndrome (CFS), benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS), Isaacs syndrome and others.

Alcohol and BFS

Hi, I have hade fasciculations mostly in my calves, but also in all other parts in my body for about 4 years. I think I have had a risk consumtion of alcohol the past 13 years. Can this have caused the fasciculations? When I did not drink for one month the fasciculations decreased. The start of my fasciculations was a strong muscle cramp in a calve at night. ( I also have some other symtoms (symptoms) in my calves sometimes, like weakness and "nerve pain" etc.)
Alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant, so I doubt that it has anything to do with your symptoms.  If anything, I would think that they would decrease while consuming...

Mark
Hi icy169

I have noticed alcohol exacerbated my fasciculations. In fact, they all started after a week of heavy drinking for a week at Christmas parties! Since I stoppped drinking there has been an improvement. Alcohol is a depressant but it is also toxic to nerves via many different pathways.

I was told alcohol can increase fasciculations.  Although there hasn't been much research on BFS, I was told alcohol, caffeine and stress/anxiety are the main contributors to fasciculations.  While you can cut out the first 2, the 3rd is not as easy.  We all have varying amounts of stress/anxiety in our lives...
I had spinal surgery July 2009 on S1-L5 to remove 2 small prolapse pieces from my disc. I had really bad fasciculations 6 months before (when I originally damaged my back) for 2 days then it stopped and my leg has been numb and has dead patches ever since. Over the last few months (from 6 months post-op) the fasciculations have started again although there is no other feeling to the leg touch-wise. I read that this could mean that the "feeling" is coming back to the leg or the nerves are "repairing" Can that be true? I will be upping my training, and dropping caffeine and alcohol from my diet so will post results over the next few weeks and this can slow the twitches down I believe? Also, has anyone tried adding Epsom Salts to their diet? to increase the magnesium in their system? I read that could also help. I would like to add at first I thought the twitching in my leg was just an ache due to the lack of feeling but it doesnt annoy me at all, but the ones I get occasionally in my eyelids do! Thanks in advance for any replies...Jase