Alcohol and BFS
Hi, I have hade fasciculations mostly in my calves, but also in all other parts in my body for about 4 years. I think I have had a risk consumtion of alcohol the past 13 years. Can this have caused the fasciculations? When I did not drink for one month the fasciculations decreased. The start of my fasciculations was a strong muscle cramp in a calve at night. ( I also have some other symtoms in my calves sometimes, like weakness and "nerve pain" etc.)
Alcohol is a depressant, not a stimulant, so I doubt that it has anything to do with your symptoms.  If anything, I would think that they would decrease while consuming...

Mark
Hi icy169

I have noticed alcohol exacerbated my fasciculations. In fact, they all started after a week of heavy drinking for a week at Christmas parties! Since I stoppped drinking there has been an improvement. Alcohol is a depressant but it is also toxic to nerves via many different pathways.

I was told alcohol can increase fasciculations.  Although there hasn't been much research on BFS, I was told alcohol, caffeine and stress/anxiety are the main contributors to fasciculations.  While you can cut out the first 2, the 3rd is not as easy.  We all have varying amounts of stress/anxiety in our lives...
I had spinal surgery July 2009 on S1-L5 to remove 2 small prolapse pieces from my disc. I had really bad fasciculations 6 months before (when I originally damaged my back) for 2 days then it stopped and my leg has been numb and has dead patches ever since. Over the last few months (from 6 months post-op) the fasciculations have started again although there is no other feeling to the leg touch-wise. I read that this could mean that the "feeling" is coming back to the leg or the nerves are "repairing" Can that be true? I will be upping my training, and dropping caffeine and alcohol from my diet so will post results over the next few weeks and this can slow the twitches down I believe? Also, has anyone tried adding Epsom Salts to their diet? to increase the magnesium in their system? I read that could also help. I would like to add at first I thought the twitching in my leg was just an ache due to the lack of feeling but it doesnt annoy me at all, but the ones I get occasionally in my eyelids do! Thanks in advance for any replies...Jase