?small fiber neuropathy?
I am a 38yo mother of 3 who works full time and was an avid runner. I have always been fit and healthy and had no medical problems. I started experiencing numbness and tingling in my right hand in 9/2013 and had been having intermittent tingling in bilateral toes when running for over a year at that time. Both were not that bothersome, but just a weird annoyance. In 9/2013, The tingling moved up into my right arm and I went to my PCP. While I was there, I received the flu vaccine and was scheduled for MRI and Nerve conduction studies. Over the next two weeks, I went on to have weakness and worsening of numbness and tingling in all extremities and tingling on my face.

Weakness increased until I was unable to grip in my hands and had trouble walking - I felt like I had lead weights strapped to my entire body. I was hospitalized. All labs (extensive check for thyroid, diabetes, autoimmune problems, vitamin deficiencies, etc) returned normal. MRI showed two small non-enhancing white matter lesions, but otherwise no diagnosis. Nerve conduction was normal.
Since hospitalization, my symptoms have improved but many persist. I have been seeing an MS specialist - (who doesn't think that I have MS). ENT - for the dizziness, and had a second opinion from a neurologist who told me I have anxiety. I am sure that it isn't anxiety, but I took anti-anxiety medication for 8 weeks because I am willing to do anything to figure out what is going on and find some improvement, but I had no change in symptoms.

Currently my symptoms are:

1. I have a tingling/burning sensation in all four extremities and in my face/scalp and neck. - this worsens when at rest and improves when I am active - but never goes away. I would describe it at times like I have something pressing around my arms (like a blood pressure cuff) and my feet feel like they are surrounded by blocks of ice - I sometimes can't even feel where my feet and hands are.

2. I have significant dizziness - I feel like I have been drinking when I have not - worsens when I go from lying/sitting to standing

3. I have significant fatigue - at times overwhelming - I've never been one to take/need naps, but I feel like I can never get enough sleep

4. I have patchy hair loss and decreased sweating in my legs. I have extremely dry and cracking skin on my feet and hands

I have been researching my own symptoms and learned about SFN. I think my symptoms may be explained by a sensory and autonomic small fiber neuropathy and wanted to know if anyone else's experience was like mine and what to do next to pursue this.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
alifam joined this group
Welcome them!
02/15
etoilecyber joined this group
Welcome them!
01/15
ra540 created this group
Join them!
12/14