Have a kitten and trying to get pregnant
Hi all!! I am new to this community and very excited to find others trying to conceive over 35. I am 37 and trying for my third child. I just started trying. I do have a question already and it has to do with having a cat. We got a cat about 3 weeks ago. I have heard that it is not good to have a cat when you are trying to conceive.

Are there any of you out there that have a cat? Do I need to have the cat temporarily stay with my in-laws? Should I just not be in contact with the litter? I want to make sure that I do the right thing for me and the baby if I can get pregnant. Looking forward to meeting you all. Have a great day!

Steph
I have never heard of having a cat while you are trying - but yes, a pregnant woman should never change the litter..... Good Luck!
I don't think it will have an affect on ttc.  I am pretty sure you can be tested to see if the litter is going to be a problem for you while pregnant.  Typically if you have been around cats and litter boxes for a while you should be fine changing it while pregnant.  Most women feel comfortable just not risking it.  My friend was tested to see if it would cause problems with her.  Her doctor said she was fine.  She is in charge of the litter box and has been for all 3 pregnancies and all three are beautiful healthy kiddos.
You may want to ask your doctor to test you, or you may just want to play it safe and put someone else in charge :)
Good luck and SSBD to you!!!
It's not having a cat that is of concern.  Its cleaning the litter box. If you aren't very clean and careful you can get toxoplasmosis from it.  Usually from breathing in the dust from the litter.  The best thing would be to had someone else clean the litter box while you are TTC and during your pregnancy.  
I have 3 cats and I am negative for toxoplasmosis meaning that yes one of my cats could have contaminated for this disease before or during my pregnancy. BUT my cats are indoor cats and do not eat raw meat = highly unlikely they would carry this disease.

When TTC I always took care of the litter box with a little shovel, never any direct contact. After I got pregnant, my husband took care of it.

You have more chances of catching toxoplasmosis with unwashed vegetables than by cat contact, also if you do gardening always use gloves to touch the soil.
I've had a cat with 3 of my 4 pregnancies. All indoor cats and I just don't touch the cat litter. You should be fine as long as your hubby or kids change the litter.
Look up toxoplasmosis so you understand why there is any concern relating to cats.  

It is true that you can get toxoplasmosis from garden soil, so do wear gloves when gardening.  Related to cats,
1) get the cat tested to see if it has had toxoplasmosis.  If it has, you're home free.
2) get yourself tested to see if you have had toxoplasmosis.  If so, you're home free.  
3) if you change the litter every day, you won't get toxoplasmosis from the litter even if both you and the cat are negative.  It takes 3 days for the parasite to grow in the cat's feces.  
Thanks everyone. I feel much better. We have had her for about 3 weeks now and because she was a stray when we got her, I was a little worried. I did have cats growing up but didn't have to clean the litter box. I have setup the littlemaid that I got from my brother that automatically runs. However, it has gotten stuck on mnay occasions and I have to go into the laundry room and give it a little push... LOL. I think all will be well because I will just try and stay away from the litter box. :) Although, I will let my doctor know when I become pregnant.