Pregnancy 18-24 Community
23 wks pregnant, large cycstic hygroma, turners and low amnioticfluid.....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

23 wks pregnant, large cycstic hygroma, turners and low amnioticfluid...

as title says, i'm 23 wks with a girl. Large cycstic hygroma, turners syndrome and currently no amniotic fluid.
I had a scan yester and the heartbeat was very slow and laboured. Doctors said it would be a matter of days before my baby dies.

can anyone tell me if there is anyway possible for my baby to survive?

any advice, stories, anything at all is welcome

thank u
Oh honey, I'm so sorry... I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now.  I don't have any personal experience with this complication, so my knowledge is only academic.  I know that all things are possible, and that God is in control at all times no matter what the circumstances--and no matter the outcome.

I do know that low or no amniotic fluid before the third trimester can contribute to more (and more serious) problems than if it were later on toward your due date.  If you combine this with Turner's Syndrome and a large cystic hygroma, the prognosis is not good.  Each of these things individually can utlimately amount to a pregnancy that just wasn't meant to make it.  So when combined, I would have to say that your doctors might be right, honey.  

Often nature knows when a baby would be unable to survive and so it takes its course.  I don't know for sure, and no one can, but that may be what is happening now.  

I know this must be hard to hear, and I'm so sorry... I just feel like you deserve the truth, and deserve not to be led on with false hope.  There is always a chance that the doctors are wrong, and even if they are right, miracles do happen.  But it would be unfair to you to paint a picture that ignores the reality of the current situation.  

I will pray for both you and your baby.  The women here are amazing and so supportive, and if you want to talk or vent or ask questions, you will always find open arms here.  We are with you, and we care about you and what you are going through.  I will pray so hard for you and your precious baby, that I promise!  My heart goes out to you.
thank you for you support! i also forgot to mention the baby has fluid on her brain and in her lungs... it could not get any worse.
I am sooo incredibly sorry! I have never been thru anything like this, i wish you the best of luck, and im sure you have already prepared yourself for the worst. Very very sorry. I hope you'll heal quickly. There are many things in nature that we simply can not prevent. Did doctors tell you why this is happening or anything like that? I cant imagine how you must be feeling, dont blame yourself, and if you need to talk or vent or anything pls feel free to reach out. Ill be praying for you! I will keep you in my thoughts.
they can't find any reasons for this. i'm young fit and healthly. i don't drink alcohol or smoke.
thank you for your kindness
If it helps you to understand, I will try to give you some basic explanations for what may be happening and why...

Unfortunately no one really knows what causes turner's syndrome--genetic predisposition has not been ruled out but most doctors who treat patients such as yourself firmly believe this is NOT the case, that you do not have some kind of "carrier" gene.  they do know that in about 75% of cases, the inactivated x chromosome (which is what the problem is in this syndrome) is of paternal origin.  This means it comes from the dad's sperm.  However, having a pregnancy in which this was diagnosed DOES NOT generally increase the risk for another.  

i would imagine that the cystic hygroma is due to the TS and is not a separate unrelated complication, as it's often present in TS cases (about half of all diagnosed cystic hygromas during pregnancy are associated with Turner's Syndrome).  

The hydrops fetalis (aka fetal hydrops--the buildup of fluid in two or more areas of the baby's body---in this case the brain and lungs) is most likely non-immune and caused by the TS as well.  

Ultimately fetal hydrops is what happens when something is wrong and the baby loses it's ability to properly manage fluid.  One of the primary causes is TS (and other genetic/chromosomal abnormalities).

So it would appear in my humble and academic opinion that given the circumstances it all seems to point to the Turner's Syndrome... and for that, there is no known specific cause...

I know that wasn't much closure, but I hope that it at least eliminates some of the excess questions that I know must be turning you in circles and stressing you out even more...

I'm still praying for you... Let us know if there's anything we can do, any questions we might be able to help you find answers for, if you just want to vent, anything.  We're here for you, babe... hang in there...

thank you, that information is really helpful. it helps to have it written down infront of me as i can't seem to take it all in
Thank you all for your support. My baby has now passed away.
Many thanks for  your kind messages