Pregnancy 18-24 Community
8 days late for period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

8 days late for period

My cycle is about 35 days or at least the last 4 months I know for sure they've been 35 days but, this month I was supposed to start my period on the 21st and well now it's the 30th so, could I be pregnant even though I just took a hpt yesterday and it was negative??? The hpt I took was the Brand named Answer, not sure how accurate they are but, I read some of the other woman's comments on here and sounds like the digital ones are not so great either which I took last month when I thought I might of been prego then and it was negative too like everyone said!... I don't think I've really been having prego signs/symptoms except for late period this month, very few food cravings but that could just be me...lol, and my breasts are swelled and very tender especially in the morning but, is that because of a pending period maybe??? I'm not really sure what's going on but, my husband & I were actually trying on my estimated ovulation/fertile days which were somewhere between April 5-9 and now it's the 30th with no period!...............
Hi there,
I read your post and I wanted to give you a couple of suggestions.  Try taking another HPT, digital is always good, but look for an Early testing HPT (like Early Response First Response) that allows you to test with a more sensitive test.  Something that can detect around 30 M/IU's of hCG would be good.  The regular tests detect around 50 IU's and the doctors office urine tests detect hCG at 80 IU's.  There is a site which I recommend to people when they are statistically looking to see if it is possible to be pregnant with no period and a Negative Pregnancy test.  (http://babymed.com/faq/Content.aspx?14684)  With all that said, the best time to test is usually after your missed period, but many people suggest not testing until you are 14 days past your expected period.  Many tests say you can test any time of day, but FMU (First morning urine) is usually the most concentrated.  You mentioned lack of symptoms, but not many people have symptoms this early after conception.  I myself am only 4 weeks pregnant (this is my 2nd) and in both pregnancies, I didn't have any symptoms that suggested to me that I might be pregnant except for fatigue.  Even now, I could be fatigued for other reasons - like having a 9 month old baby to take care of!  In my first pregnancy I didn't have any cravings what so ever.  No morning sickness throughout the entire pregnancy.  So symptoms are a subjective thing.
I hope truly you are one of those cases that just don't have high hCG or detectable hCG early on in your pregnancy - but are actually pregnant (if that is what your goal is).  I know of several women who were pregnant and had negative tests only to discover 2-3 months into their pregnancies that they were in fact actually pregnant!  My first pregnancy, I had a blood test, really early on, (probably about 5 days after ovulation) and it came back negative.  After my period was late (4 days late) my family suggested I take a HPT.  I truly didn't think I was pregnant, seing as how my blood test came back negative, but I was.  That HPT was so extrememly faint, you would barley think I was pregnant.  I am one of those people who have low hCG numbers.  This time around, my hCG is low also, but is doubling properly.  So, that is just my body.  You could be like this also, so my suggestion is test again, with a few different brands, in the next few days or even up to the next couple of weeks.  If you would like to know more accurately, ask your doctor for a Beta hCG quantitive test.  Doctors in Ontario consider anything below 20 m/IU's a negative pregnancy, and in the early days past ovulation, (ie: 10 DPO) the hCG numbers can start and be normal
at 5 m/IU's and go to 400 m/IU's.  As long as the hCG is rising properly -  you shouldn't have anything to worry about - providing you are pregnant.

I hope I haven't confused you too much, and I wish you luck.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to send me a direct message.

Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Down syndrome Community Leader
& Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Hi, Sandi!.. How are you?.. *Thank you so much for replying back to me, I appreciate your advice and it really helped a lot.* In fact it wasn't confusing at all but, sadly my period started this morning!... )-:

I guess my husband & I will just keep trying!.. Wish us luck and please if you don't mind keep us in your prayers, at your convenience!!!***

Thanks Again & Best Regards,
-April Day-
(-:
Hello I need some help. I have never been late on my period and I was 8 days late then started but it only lasted for 4 in ahalf days. I havent takin a hpt . I am scared !!! It was reddish brown the first day then for 3 days it was brown discharge . The last days was normal blood. I havent really had any prgnant signs. I just feel werid and sick to my stomache sometimes.