Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Awful constipation - Help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Awful constipation - Help?

I'm new-ish here and was hoping one of you ladies could offer some advice. I'm 10weeks pregnant, my second child, but it's been 10 years since I was last pregnant! Being pregnant at 30 is kicking my *** as opposed to being pregnant at 20! I have already been hospitalized once, for extreme morning sickness/dehydration, I was put on an IV and am now on the anti-nausea drug Zofran.
Anyway, this is a little TMI, I know, but it's been 8-9 days (can't remember exactly) since my last bowel movement. I'm getting to the end of my tether here. I have been through the archives here and tried pretty much every remedy suggested. I have tried eating more fiber, lots of fruit and veg, Metamucil, mild stool softeners, and finally, out of desperation, a glycerin suppository. None of it has worked and I wonder what options I'm left with. I'm reluctant to use proper laxatives as I hear they can cause contractions. I'm worried I'm going to end up in hospital again (we could do without the added expense), but I wonder at what point enough is enough and you seek treatment? I suspect they'd only give me an enema anyway, which I could do at home myself - has anyone else done this during pregnancy?
All advice appreciated, thank you :)
I would talk to either a pharmacist or your dr and see what you can do. I was constipated big time to the point that my down there in the rear was hurting, and I ended up going that evening, I don't remember how long it had been, but I was about as far along as you are now. I still have some issues with it and I'm almost 25 weeks now. I wasn't as bad as you I didn't take anything for it...but I'd ask the dr/pharmacist...they may be able to recommend something you haven't tried.

I hope you get some relief soon!!!
Thanks! As far as I can see, the only option left really is an enema, if even the suppositories won't work. I'm having a little stomach pain, as you'd expect really - there can only be so much room in there! We have to go pick up more groceries tonight (craving orange juice terribly) and I will ask the pharmacist there.
When I wa in your condition and pregnant, the only thing that helped with doctor permission was a enema
Yeah, I just went out and bought one. There are fewer things in life more embarrassing than buying one of those - especially when the box has ENEMA written in really big letters on the box. I guess everyone knows what I'll be spending my night doing...
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers