Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Blighted Ovum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Blighted Ovum

Hello, I went to the doctor about a week and a half ago after 3 posistive home pregnancy tests.  She calculated that I was around 6 weeks pregnant.  ( Not 100% sure of my last missed period).  I went for an ultra sound and the tech said I was 5 weeks and 1 day with a due date of Dec 17th.  We were unable to see a baby ( were were explained that this is okay so early on) But we saw a yolk sac and possible the fetal pole ( it was extremely tiny).  My doctor called me that night with concerns because she was a week off with her calculations.  ( I did not think this was a big deal at all considering I was not sure of my last missed period and I was never regular).  So at her request I went for blood test Saturday morning and then again yesterday morning to test my HCG levels.  Without even waiting for the second results she called and told me that I was having a blighted ovum.  How could she be so sure so early on and what was she basing this off of?  None the less I was caught off guard at work and had to leave because I am not an emiotinal wreck.  Can anyone help sort this out?  Or give me some encouraging faith?  I've never wanted to be anything but a mommy and I hate to think that this chance is being ripped from me.  
Tags: prenancy
she couldnt know... a blighted ovum is a pregnancy that progresses with no baby.its like your body thinks its having a healthy pregnancy. They told me i had it this pregnancy i was 5 weeks and 6 days and i had an EMPTY sac, they didnt see ****. I was even bleeding for 8 days straight. So they did a great job and made me all upset but at least they warned me. Well im 40 weeks and 1 day pregnant today, so i would give it until your 10 weeks to really tell. If theres no baby by 10 weeks or a heartbeat on the ultrasound then unfortuantly thats probably what it is. Most of the time they try for a D&C early and turns out most of the time the baby was fine. Your not going to be able to see a baby at 5 weeks. We couldnt see a baby until i was 7 weeks and it was a dot lol
i would request another us next week cause you would not have seen somethung small in the sac with a blighted ovum usually.  they need to give you another us, how dare she call you and say that without knowing if your levels dropped etc.
Hi Sarah,
I had a blighted ovum last year and terminated the pregnancy at 7-8 weeks after making several u/s in different medical offices to be sure. My hcg was too low and the sac was empty. However at 5 or 6 weeks they were not sure, so you should definitely wait a bit longer and have other elements.
I remember being in this forum and other girls had the same pb (slow hcg increase, embryo taking longer to develop...) but in the end their pregnancy worked out fine so do wait and eventually go seek other advices.

good luck!!
M
I am kinda in the same situation as you right now, I found out I am pregnant VERY early, I found out on March 21st and my HCG level was only 11. The doctor told me she doesnt even know how it showed up a an hpt. So I had my first u/s o April 9th, they didnt see anything, however my HCG levels are great! it was at 29,711. they called me back that day as well, and told me that I need to come back down the next day and have another u/s done, and that I could have a blighted ovum... I started Freaking out.... I just had a stillborn at 38 week last september, So of course I am an emotional reck too.. So I went back the next day and nothing same thing... Told me to come back AGAIN on April 17th.... SAME THING no baby no yolk sac... empty.. at this time my HCG levels are at 65,162.. So now I have to go back this friday, and I am hoping to see a baby... See my ovulation was a month and a half late, my last period was february 5th. but I had a blood test done for pregnancy on March 12th, So I think we are both just too early to see the baby, I HIGHLY recommend getting a second opinion, and I have had people telling me over and over to wait until 8-10 weeks, then if you dont see anything, then do a D&C... The Doctor told me it wont HARM YOU if you wait it out... worst case, you will just misscarry on your own.....

Sorry  for such a long story, I WISH YOU THE BEST :)
i agree with wantbaby14.  I had a blighted ovum in June of 07.  I was 11 weeks pregnant when I had my first u/s so we were sure, and after 2 more ultrasounds to be positive I had to have a d&c.  However, 5/6 weeks is really to early to tell.  Around 7 weeks you should be able to have a more accurate result.  Also the amount of HCG in your blood isn't nearly as important as your HCG level doubling...around 5/6 weeks of a healthy pregnancy HCG levels should double evey 48-72 hours.  Best wishes and please keep us updated.  

Oh and I was also told that there is no harm in waiting a while before you have a d&c done....unless you begin to bleed on your own and then you would need to seek medical attention, but so far you are not spotting which is excellant.   Dont let the doctors con you into any procedure yet...there is no reason to assume this isnt a perfectly nomal and healthy pregnancy.
Thats for all the encouraging....I called and made a dr appt on Saturday with a new dr, the nurse at this doctors office seemed to be really nice and really understanding.  My HCG levels were 21, 000 the first blood test and the doctor called ( the orginal dr) and said they went up about 66% in 48 hours.  I'm just still in shock and holding on the hope that this all works out.  I'm getting an u/s at the dr office on saturday so I will keep everyone posted.  Thanks so much!
I just found out last week i was 8 weeks pregnant. well i had some severe bleeding and come to find out im 4 weeks pregnant. i also found out that i had a blighted ovum and the bleeding is so heavy i dont know what to do im scared ill have to get a d&c. someone please help me ia the bleeding normal???