Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Brown Discharge @ 20 Weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Brown Discharge @ 20 Weeks?

I will be 20 weeks tomorrow. Last night I noticed a very small amount of brown discharge in my underwear and I then had a brown stringy discharge when I wiped. It wasn't a lot at all but definitely noticeable. I haven't had anything like that since but it has me concerned. Is all brown discharge "old blood?" If so why the heck is this happening out of no where at 20 weeks? It's not from irritation or anything since I haven't had sex or any internal exams. I just don't understand this has been a perfect pregnancy so far. No spotting or cramping or any problems on any ultrasounds. I don't have a doctors appointment until next week and I don't want to call this in if it's really nothing to be concerned about. I guess i'm just wondering if all brown discharge is "old blood" or could it just be the color of the discharge, simple as that?  

Like I said, I haven't had it since so is this something to be concerned about?
Heyyy first I wanna say 20 week mark (whoo hoo) :) congrats second is I had the SAME thing happen to . One day I went to use the bathroom and when I wiped I looked and it was a brown discharge not a lot , but it worried the H**l out of me. It has not happend since then so I'm guessing its normal I know it wasn't blood from the way it looked. This happend at around 21 weeks maybe I can't remember , but now I'm 26 weeks and having a little boy :) . I personally think if you're that worried u should call u ob and tell them what happend but I'm pretty sure he/she will tell u its normal. I hope this makes u feel a bit better :)
I was going to suggest the sex thing, but since you said you haven't had sex, then I know that's not it.  I still think it's worth putting in a call to your doctor.  My doctor has always told me to call if I had any unexplained bleeding.  Any bleeding for me would be unexplained.  It's only happened to me once and it was my 4th pregnancy.  I was like 34 weeks along and it was about 12 hours after sex.  I was sent to L&D to be monitored, just as a precaution.  I wasn't having any contractions or anything.  It has never happened to me before and hasn't happened to me since.  But I am still glad I called and that's what I would do in your case as well.
Thank you both very much. Both answers were very helpful. I also thought of something after I posted this. I'm wondering if It could be caused from overdoing it? Yesterday I volunteered in the nursery in Church. I was lifting a few heavy babies & was also crawling around on the floor playing with them. I'm wondering if this would of triggered something. I'm still not sure if it's considered blood or just brown colored discharge hmmm.... I will talk to my doctor about it.
That could be the cause of it but we will never really know . Sometimes not even your own OB can explain why things happen lol :) but I think the decision on talking to your docter is a great choice :) . How r u feeling throughout your pregnancy so far besides the whole discharge/blood thing? I'm just curious to see what other women go through since everyone is different. Are you feeling any morning sickness still? Or did u even get MS
I would guess it was the increased activity you had yesterday. I get brown spotting if I overdo it at the gym. Only see it once or twice and then it goes away. My ob said to take it as a sign that I need to slow down a little bit. Good luck!
Thank you so much!! I have been taking it easy and I haven't seen it since so I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about. I just wish I could feel him move more so I know he's okay! I only feel him maybe once or twice a day and that's at night before bed and I have to really concentrate to know for sure if it was him or not.  
You should try getting heartbeat doppler to put your mind at ease . That's what I did because my first was a miscarriage and when I found out I was pregnant with this one I was so happy but sooo worried all the time because of what happend before .
You could try having something cold with a little sugar like a big glass of orange juice then lay on your left side or just sit still for like 20 minutes and they you'll feel him.
Im 34 1/2 weeks and noticed brown mucus like discharge in my underwear but nothing when i wrapped. Then noticed it again a second time within two hours but not as much.