Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Delayed miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Delayed miscarriage

Dear Doctor.

This is my first pregnancy, I am 27 years old and have been for a scan today following slight bleeding yesterday.  The scan showed the sac was about 8/9 weeks developed but the baby only 5 and I'm having a delayed miscarriage.  I want to do this naturally but I am scared of what to expect.  Why does this happen and can I try again for another soon, if so how long after?  I am very healthy and fit and unsure why this has happened, will I get an earlier scan next time?  Also do I stop taking folic acid?  I started in January taking it and fell pregnant in March.  We would like to try again though for another as soon as we can.

Please advise.

Many thanks,

Natalie
Hi Nat,

First of all you wont get an answer from a doctor in this forum here. Sorry to hear that you are having a miscarriage i too had one in November last year and know what you are going through. What will happen is you will at some point start to bleed and then it should start passing through but be warned its not nice and they sometimes dont like to leave it too long as there is a risk of infection. I started my M/C in november and it wasnt completed until Jan so it can be a lengthy process you ma also experience some cramping. I tried again straight away some people say to wait so your body can adjust but it really depends on when you feel phsically and emitionally stable to try again. Feel free to private message me anytime.
sorry hun there arent any drs on this forum, but we are all happy to give some insight!!

most of the time they dont know what causes a miscarriage, unfortunately 1 in every 4 pregnancy ends in miscarriage.  i also have had one, with my 2nd pregnancy. its heartbreaking! so i know how you feel, hopefully you get to miscarry naturally since thats what you want to do, i had a d&c done just to get it done and over with, as bad as that sounds, but i just wanted to know it was all done.

do you have another scan scheduled? and your hcg levels checked? i just wonder because sometimes dates can be off and at 5 weeks you wouldnt be able to see much on an ultrasound, not to get your hopes up or anything, since you were bleeding and all, but sometimes early bleeding is normal in pregnancy. hope all goes well with you!! good luck with everything
Sorry this is not the dr. form........But many of us understand what you are going thought. Miscarriages just happen, most of the time there is no answer. Most dr. want you to wait 1-3cycles before trying again. (I only waited One) I missed miscarriage back in sept. I did not want to wait, as you really dont know how long it could take. I op for the D&C. Good Luck to you :o)
Thank you for your reply.  I think I'll wait one cycle as we both want a baby so badly.  Hope everything goes well for you too.
Well, I hope all goes Great for you! If you have anymore Q's Please ask!
Thank you for your reply, did you get pregnant straight away after the m/c?  I'll see how it goes, at least I am going for a scan next Monday to check on things, I am happy about that.
Hiya thanks for the reply.  I hope my m/c goes ok - as it can do!

Yes I have got another scan next Monday - don't think they could see a heartbeat so maybe thats what they are checking for next week, although they did not check my HCG levels, should they?  How long after m/c did you get pregnant again?
i also had a m/c at around 10 wks i went straight for the d&c the idea of having to wait and go through it naturally just scared me too much i got pregnant with my son 1 month later against dr orders of course i was told to wait atleast 3 months and i was planning on doing so but things happen and the pull out method doesn't work lol andnow he is a healthy almost 5 year old
No i didnt get pregnant straight away it took me until March to conceive again but like i say everyones body is different. They like you to have one cycle after a m/c as it helps them clarify your due date. I was trying far to hard to get pregnant again and we went away on holiday and because i was so realxed i couldnt remember when i was ovulating so we just had sex when we wanted and it happened when all the other months i had made a note of when to have sex so i didnt miss my fertile days! (I got obssessed)!
Well, Im sure that the reason way they want you to come back on Monday, is to see if there are any changes. Good Luck on that!
Are you positive of your dates? Miscarriage is super hard and a lot of us on this forum completely know how you are feeling. I had a miscarriage in Feb 07... baby was supposed to be 9 weeks but stopped developing at 6. I opted for the D&C since I just wanted it to be over with. Got pregnant again a month later.
Thanks Michelle for your reply.  I will definately wait a cycle first.  Think I'll become obsessed with dates too.

Thanks again and hope I e-mail next time with good news :-)
Thanks Mary

Hope my m/c happens sooner rather than later or I'll have the pill I think.  Thanks for the advice, glad you had a healthy baby not so long after, hope I am the same.

Nat
Thanks for your reply.  My last period was 28th Feb 08 so I should be 10 wks pg?  The Dr said at the scan, the baby looked like it was 5 wks developed but the sac about 7/8wks developed, its all so confusing, maybe thats why I am going for another scan next wk to see how m/c goes.  I would love it to happen naturally but don't want to wait for wks either.  Glad to hear you got pregnant again one month later, hope I do not so far away.  Do I keep taking folic acid supplements?  Would it do any harm?  We want to try again soon after this, they say to wait for a period at least so dates are accurate.
Thank you.  Hope next time its with good news!
I would keep taking the folic acid and prenatals.
Thank you I will do.