Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Do you think I'll be put on bed rest?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Do you think I'll be put on bed rest?

Hey everyone.  I am 26 weeks pregnant and I was in the hospital on Wednesday due to severe cramping, lower back pain and sharp pain in my stomach. The cramping and back pain started Monday and the sharp pains started Tuesday night...so bad I couldn't roll over  My blood pressure was high when I went in but when they released me I was back to normal. They couldn't tell me what was wrong but to see my doctor.  The doctor at the hospital kept saying "I don't think she's in labor".  All my tests came back pretty normal but my liver count was a little high but they weren't concerned.  I went to see my doctor on Thursday and everything was fine until she did an internal exam and looked concerned.  She told me that my cervix was low or short? (What does that mean???) and wants me to have a fetal assessment ultrasound done. I know that if you have to have that done, something is wrong.  My cervix was closed at the time but she said I still could be in labor.  I am still having the pains but not as bad because I haven't been moving around.  If I move around I get the sharp pains and need to lay down again.  I get them really bad at night and can still hardly roll over.  What do you guys think?  Think I'll be put on bed rest?  Thanks for reading!
Anyone?
I wish I could say but it really depends on what is going on?

I was in the hospital a few weeks back ( I am 28ish weeks now) because I was having painful contractions, and they kept me for a few days and did a fetal fibronactin (?) test and the results came back and said that I wasn't in labor and wasn't going to go INTO labor for the next 72 hours, it was all caused by dehydration come to find out, and "went away" after meds and rehydrating for 3 days.. I wasn't put on bedrest (aside from that week). But if you are actually IN labor, I have no idea? I am sorry!!!

Keep us posted, though! Hopefully someone else wil lhave better/more useful advice for you! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
A friend of mine had to have her baby early..i forget exactly what her symptoms were but she went into labor and they couldnt stop it but she wasnt dialting and then something happened and she had to have c-section...her baby was in the NICU 6 weeks, and her daughter is now 2 yrs. old and my friend is pregnant again, and they found something wrong with her cervix...called incompetent cervix...where your cervix may not be strong enough to hold your baby,now that baby is getting bigger and such...my friend has to have c-section 1 month early,again because they dont want her going into contractions and such.  I heard the treatment for this is stitching the cervix. hope that helps, and yes she had to go on bedrest
Possibly - the doctors will have to watch things closely.  High blood pressure alone can sometimes be reason to be placed on bedrest.
Thanks everyone for the posts!

Mommynurse - I'm thinking that you may be right and have the incompetent cervix, don't know what else it could be!  At least I'll know more answers tomorrow!  Thanks for responding.
If you have an incompetant cervix, I am not too sure they can put stitches in this far along.  Usually they like to do it closer to the beginning of the 2nd trimester, and you are almost in your 3rd.  So, instead, they might put you on bed rest.  But, obviously your doctor will talk with you about what she thinks is going on.  Sorry you are having to go through this...