Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Epedural or natural?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Epedural or natural?!

So i been thinking about wat to do should i get an epidural or not?! I really want to do it without due to the side effects, i know its gonna be a lot of pain but people i know have done it without a problem. I am a FTM n im scare but i have faith tht i will proceed n succeed at the end. Is anyone else in the same boat?! Any recommendations?! I am 22 weeks n 4 days
I've really been contemplating the same thing. Our
Bodies are built for this, buttttt, it's scary. I'm still up in the air with what I'm going to do too. There's no one who can figure this out for you. It's a mothers decision! :] one of many we'll be making!!
CI54 yeah i know i been looking at youtube videos or delivery and im still not at ease bout my decision. I really dont want to hurt my
body and then i dont wanna faint in the delivery room. So at this point i want to do it without. I know i am strong but when it comes to pain im a baby sl thts. wat worries me. Im glad im not the only one that  contemplating this decision. Thanks
I'm not planning on having one but I'm not ruling it out either. You won't know whether you want one or not until youre actually in labour and see how youre coping with the pain. Everybody reacts differently to pain. Some people want it at the earliest opportunity because they really can't stand pain (but bear in mind it can slow labour down) and others retreat into themselves and just get on with it.  I am hoping for a water birth, so quite happy to start with gas and air, but I am open to more invasive pain relief methods if I need them (ie start with entonox,, if that doesnt work, a wee morphine jag, epidural I won't have unless I have no other choice x
I have always been scared of epidurals but I signed up for it with my first 12 years ago. I went to fast and couldn't have it. I remember it hurt but I think I am going to try and do it again without it.
I say play it by ear, you can always tell the delivery staff that you want to TRY for a natural delivery and you can always change your mind a little later if it's too much. In my personal experience (I already have one child) I'm pretty good with pain but I give much props to any woman who can do it without drugs. I definitely want an epidural with this pregnancy not only did it help with pain but made my delivery experience much more relaxing, enjoyable, and memorable. The choice is yours, I just couldn't do it
I've had all four of our babies without an epidural. I put it in my head that its not an option for me. I'm scared of that needle and I would honestly fi through labor than have an epidural. My longest labor was 7 hours and I got a shot of demerol at about 7cm so I could make it to 10. I will do the same with this little girl when she arrives.
Epidural for sure!!!! I would not give birth without one!! The needle didn't hurt and the contraction did so I will have an epidural with this pregnancy too! But I agree with the above comment it made labor more memorable and enjoyable bc the pain is gone and u can actually enjoy what's going on!
^^^^^ i agree... EPIDURAL!  :-)
I'm also a ftm and nervous about delivery and whether or not to have an epidural. Finally decided that i will try naturally and if the pain becomes to much to bear then go for the epidural. Good luck, whatever we decide in the end will have been the best choice for that woman :)
I wanted natural. At 6cm I got the epi because I had been in labor so long which helped relax my body and I had my son two hours later. I was up walking within an hour and felt fine.
I'm just scared of the needle. :/ they say you can't move at all & I'm like, but what if I do? I want one I'm just scared of it.
I wanted natural until i had my first real contraction.....no thank you! I am no before and i don't handle pain as well as i thought lol
The needle isn't bad at all you can barely feel it I would much rather have the epidural than all the contractions!
I'm a ftm nd a wuss wen it comes to pain so I will def be gettin a epdural lol
I had a epidural with my first and it did not work!So with my 2nd i had nothing,and i will have nothing again,I think staying in control and calm is the best thing,It really is not that bad giving birth with no pain relief,I think getting into a comfortable position helps,i was on the bed leaning over the back of it on my knees and it was fab!
I'm still debating as well Im 20 years old  and only 18 weeks 4 days
I would play it by ear lol I went into labor with my first thinking natural all the way and as soon as my water broke and real contractions hit there was no way I could do it. My epidural went great and I have no complaints. I am now 27+3 and will try for natural again but will get the epidural if I need it.
You don't have to do either. Every one forgets that they do have pain med they can give to you through your iv. That is what I am doing. I plan on getting med close to the end for most the pain. I don't want to risk the epidural but I don't think I could go completely natural. Also for an easier labor drink raspberry leaf tea and walk a lot. I've heard it can help labor be quicker and the tea helps your cervix. Look up all the pain med obtions before you consider. If you don't want to risk the epidural, pain med through the iv does help ease some pain, no its not as good as an epidural but it sure enough beats all the pain. Lol.
Epidural for sure! This will be my third baby and I could never bear that pain just to say i didn't get one, but also i had to be induced with both because my water was leaking but no contactions so natural was out the door anyways. And having one did not hurt me or my babies, in fact my last baby got a perfect score after being born which is rare.
I went completely natural with my first baby. After 26 hours and about 15 stitches later I swore I'd never do that again lol! So with this one I'm walking in the hospital saying I want one. But its all up to you. Good luck!
I loved going natural it was painful but not to the point I couldnt enjoy giving birth to my daughter as soon as she was born I forgot about the pain I was actually holding her while I was being stitched up and I was okay afterwards as well only thing that bothered me were the stitches the next day but with an epidural it will b the same thing ull fel the nxt day fir sure so im planning on going natural with this bby as well but at the end of the day its your choice
I'm a ftm and I'm having my little one all natural.  We are using midwives and a birthing center for our delivery. I made the decision long before I was pregnant that I wanted to do it that way. I've been reading books and other materials to prepare myself for it. Make the choice that's best for you and baby. Good luck!!