Pregnancy 18-24 Community
HIgh Enough Hcg levels to detect sac on ultrasound- but nothing seen? A...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

HIgh Enough Hcg levels to detect sac on ultrasound- but nothing seen? ANy Explanations?PLEASE HELP!

I had an early ultrasound done- and they didn't really see anything.
I am 4.4 weeks pregnant- however my hcg levels today were around 3,000.  I have read (and a nurse has told me) that they should be able to see a sac at 1600 hcg.

If my hcg level is at least  2,700 to 3,000- shouldn't they have been able to see anything on ultrasound (even with me being 4.4 weeks pregnant?) If not- what other explanations are there other than a possible doomed situation?
Thanks you so much for your help,
Dawn
I hear they don't often see anything until 6 or 6 1/2 weeks, and not always that early.  Schedule another ultrasound in a week or 2, and keep tracking your HCG levels to see if they are rising.  Good Luck!
My HCG levels were really high for where I was at in my pregnancy. At the end of my 5th week it was 30,000, but still nothing could be seen on u/s.  I dont like that they tell us what should be seen based on hcg levels, because those dont tell us how far along we are.  I was able to see a baby and a heart beat at 6.5 weeks, but never saw much else at any of the 4 previous ultrasounds. Dont listen to them about hcg levels, only pay attention to how far along you are, hang in there. I know it almost killed me because I kept getting bad news, then worse news. I wasnt until I went for a second opinion that I saw the baby, otherwise the other doc wanted a d/c, can you imagine??  

You have strong HCG levels which to me and in my case indicated a healthy pregnancy was brewing, wait just a couple weeks and th
That gives me a lot of comfort- I went back yesterday and my numbers were 3918 and still nothing on u/s. This time the doc said that he suspected twins becuase the #'s are so high (and tripling/quadrupling every 48 hours) and twins makes sense. We shall see- I am going back on Wednesday for another u/s- (if my numbers are at least even doubling They would be around 25,000 by then-- however since they have been at least tripling- they may be even higher.
i wouldn't listen to them about that with all of my pregnancies they couldn't see anything `till about7 wks and my hcg levels were well above 2000 infact during this pregnancy at 5 wks my levels were at 25000 and they didn't see anything and then at 7 wks we did
I actually went back to the hospital yesterday and had my hcg drawn again. It was 3918

(Here they are so far:

5/13 hcg10

5/15 hcg 43

5/19 hcg 398

5/21 hcg 1362

5/23 hcg 3918

I actually saw a doc- becuase I have been having lower back pain and the nurse was worried that I might have a bladder infection (but I didn't). Anyway- this doctor said that he wanted to do another ultrasound. Before he did it- he said that my numbers looked like I could be carrying multiples.  I was suprised this time- because that was the explanation that the perinatologist gave me the day before (because they didn't really see anything on the ultrasound).

Anyway- he gave me an ultrasound and pointed out something that looked like a darker "see through" shadow. He said that could be the begining of something right there.

Anyway- I am supposed to go back on Wednesday (May 28).

My question to you is this: What can I expect to see on the ultrasound based on the following criteria:

I should be (39 days since lmp April 19)/ I received a positive ovulation predictor kit on May2 (so I would be 25-26 days since ovulation) and technically 5.4 or 5.5 weeks pregnant on Wednesday.

Additionally, Since my hcg level was 3918 yesterday than (if it just doubled every 48 hours until Wed it would be around 20,000-25,0000. (if it triples than it would be around 90,000 on Wednesday).

What can I expect to see based on these facts?

Thanks,

Dawn
Hi all, I went to the doctor last week and found out I was unexpectedly pregnant.  They have no idea how far along because my period has been so off.  They thought around 5 weeks maybe.  I got my hcg levels done on Thursday and it was 33,000 and again on Saturday and they only rose 100 points.  My midwife said that with the levels being so high they should have seen more on the ultrasound they did Thursday.  Has anyone head of this happening and going on to have a healthy baby.  I am terrified of losing this baby, which is what they are preparing me for??
Hey, I'm really sorry that you are going through this, I really don't have any answers for you except for HCG levels can be tricky, did they schedule another blood draw or U/S?
Just to let you know, this is a REALLY old thread, you probably won't get many answers here, start a new thread on the forum and I'm sure you'll get many more responses. Good Luck!
that is sooo strange!!!! why on earth do they give ultrasounds at 4 wks??????? of course you cant see anything thats completely normal.........at my docs they do not do them until 10 wks or later, due to risk of miscarriage happening (spontanious) of a twin pregnancy, in case one baby  makes it and 2nd passes............. and besides at like 12 wks u can actually see a little person wiggling their arms and legs!! i honestly think they do those ultrasounds to freak you out and rip ur insurance co. off. there is no point to them, only to rule out ectopic pregnancy, but if your not in pain (im assuming you werent) then you dont need this absolutly pointless ultrasound. give your body time......... i dont think you can see anything earlier then 6wks.
I wonder if she ended up with a healthy pregnancy! this is over a year old! lol
I don't think the hcg numbers are very accurate in predicting what you can or cannot see on an ultrasound. With both of my pregnancies, my hcg has never gotten above 1800 but both the sac and heartbeat were visible at 7 weeks. The lowest we saw something was hcg of 628 at 6 wks (saw the sac and fetal pole). Try not to stress and just wait a bit longer to give things a chance to grow. =)
i went this past monday to get a preg test done. it came back positive. well on wed i took a home one and it was also positive. friday night i ended up havin to go to the hospital cuz i started spotting. well they checked my levels and did a test and it was positive and my levels were only 1400. they suspected a miscarriage cuz my ultrasound showed nothing not even a sac in my uterous. they said it was a threatend miscarriage thats all they could say.. well i have an appt tomorrow to check my levels. they said if they r higher i am still pregnant but if lower i had a miscarriage for sure. he said by tomorrow they should either be close to 2000 or higher if i am still pregnant. but if i am i would only be like 1 1/2-2 weeks pregnant. ive been spotting everytime im up walkin around but its only when i pee its not constant like a period its just when i pee and wipe... its very watery and pinkish. could this just be a sign of implation comin to an end???
What was the result of this pregnancy?
not sure its so old, trying to find some forums out there with what im going through and I dont get responses.  

here has been my situation:
My LMP was 8/2/13.(Came off BC pills beginning of July 2013). Not sure how my cycles are regulary. Though I have 24 day cylce and suspected to be due for AF 8/28/13. She didnt show. Took PT 5 days late and BFN. On 9/9/13 took PT and BFN! =]. Weekend on 9/13/13 had brown spotting for 2 days very slight(nothing since). 9/19 hubby took me to ER in lots of pain in abdomen to back. After trans vag ultrasound nothing was seen in uteus (ovaries looked ok, uterus was thickening). I was constipated very bad the 2 liters of water VIA IV flushed me out. Had f/u with OB on Monday 9/23/13. He did trans vag ultrasound still nothing was seen in uterus..nothing seen on tubes or ovaries that looked abnormal...he doubts its ectopic prob not viable he says. So confused. Has anyone experinced this and everything turn out ok! Thank you, sorry so long!

HCG levels
9/19-1078
9/21-1562
9/23-2360
I'm going through the exact same thing!  Please keep me posted on your status.  I had a US on Tues... am supposedly 5 wks based on LMP, levels were 3000..... vaginal US - no sac, no baby.  Said he didn't see signs of anything in my tubes either, but can't rule that out until next week.  Going back tomorrow for more blood work. Then another US next week.  The anticipation is driving me nuts!  
I need help my hcg levels r 32382 but no baby or sac on scan. I should b 7 weeks. Someone please help :'(
hI! Well my story started like this... lmp 12/31/13, Im pretty regular usually get my period every 28-29 days, so I got a very faint positive pregnancy test on 1/31/14, I got into a car accident the same day 1/31/14 but didnt really get hurt, They hit me on the passenger side while I was driving, the next dar 2/1/14 started spotting, later bleeding and a few hours later a huge blood clot, went to the ER did some blood work and told me my hcg was very low  it was 28 and they also told me I was either having a miscarriage or it was a very early pregnancy and to follow up with my GYN, two days later I went to see my dr and they did blood work again and my hcg level went up to 51, 4 days later it was 119 a week later was 627, a week later 1481 and finally 3 days later it was 3026, Ive been spotting a dark brown like dry blood for almost a week but no pain, the drs think it might be ectopic but they cant confirm it because they cant see anything in my tubes, ovaries or anywhere else... Im still holding on to the possibility of just being to early to see anything but idk what to think :( can someone help!
Hi. I am now 5w 4d. I was rushed in to hospital with pains an told that in 2 days my hm levels had gone from 300-800. The day I was rushed into hospital 5 days later they were 4000!!! I was taken for a scan (5w 3d). They could see the sac but no baby. And they could see something in my tubes so I was rushed to theatre. Woke up. It was a swollen wlvein in my tube!!!! But they still expected to see baby. I have a scan again next week I'll be roughly 6w2d. But because of surgery I'm a risk of miscarriage!!!
I have an inkling it's twins but we shall see on Tue if that scan wants to show us anything.
I found out I was pregnant I went to the dr he didn't see anything in the ultra sound said my hcg was 400 went back a week later my hcg was at 3000 and still didn't see anything in the ultra sound . so I have an appt in the am im just trying to figure out what should I expect??
I had an abdominal ablation 3 years ago but found out on Monday I was pregnant despite having also had the contraception injection. After the ablation pregnancy is highly likely to be ectopic. I went for a scan yesterday to find out where my baby was growing but the doctor couldn't find anything anywhere. After taking blood to check my hormone levels they came back at 3000. I have to have them checked again after 2 days to see if they rise or fall. I just wonder why no pregnancy sack is showing up on the scan. Xx