Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Hair Dying while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hair Dying while pregnant

So some of my friends have told me that I shouldn't dye my hair while I am pregnant. However most articles that I read don't say it's bad necessarily. I was wondering what others thought about this or did while they were pregnant. I dye my hair because I am turning gray, not just because. However I don't want to do it if it's bad for my baby.
I have been told it's completely safe but that's something you should ask your ob.
I've heard of women that dye their hair their entire pregnancy and they have perfectly healthy babies. I myself didn't color my hair or perm my hair during my 1st pregnancy. I've also heard that it is ok after the 1st trimester. Also you might try a non-ammonia hair color. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I'm like you, my hair is turning gray and I even had someone comment on it when I was pregnant with my 2nd (that I miscarried). the pregnancy only lasted 11 wks but my hair had gotten really gray and I looked so OLD! Good luck.
I am no expert in what you can and can't do during your pregnancy, but I know whatever you put on your skin is absorbed by the body into your blood stream, so I would say the baby  would absorb it too. I used to put perfume on my skin but since I have been pregnant I haven't just incase. I guess I am a bit over the top.
Hi!  I'm a hairdresser just finishing my training in a couple weeks.  I have one daughter and like you I have heard conflicting reports about this.  With my first pregnancy I colored my hair and my daughter is perfect.   I seem to get this question alot working in the industry and this is what I say.  There has been no concrete reports either way about haircolor causing birth defects etc. So I recommend that you talk to your dr first.  Ultimately it needs to be your decision as it's your body and baby.  If you want to color your hair there are a couple of options.  First you can get your hair foiled.  This way the color doesn't touch the scalp.  Second as someone previously mentioned you can do a non ammonia color ( tho it prob won't completely cover grey)
Anyways hope this helps.  Good luck with the decision!