Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Has anyone tried Castor Oil to Induce Labor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried drinking castor oil to induce labor? I have been doing research on this and I am considering trying it if labor doesn't start on it's own soon. Just thought I would see what you ladies thought about it. I have heard a lot of good stories and then some that say that it doesn't do anything but make you have the runs. So I would love to hear your opinion about it.
I havent tried it myself but a friend of mine did. She mixed it with orange juice and it made her go to the bathroom and about an hour later she was in labor. I think the orange juice helps not only with the taste but with it working as well.. I know that it is probably the safest way to induce other then nipple stimulation which rarely works. And of course there is always sex.. Good luck and if you do try let me know how it goes.. im not quite there but if im overdue like i was with my first boy i will be doing whatever i can to induce this one out.. LOL
I was wondering the samething lol. I have contractions all day, and im dilated to 4cm and 100% effaced, and Conner has finally engaged....but is holding on for dear life in there lol. Im half tempted to go try it myself. I know it can make you have diahrrea(sp) sorry....and nausea. But whats different from the regular pregnancy symptoms? lol.

If it doesn't work, atleast you won't be constipated lol
My mom did this with  my sister, she said it made her go #2 all day and it was painfull. But she did end up going into labor the next day!
I have heard allot of folks say thats not safe at all.
My friend used this with her first pregnancy.  She was over a week late and her midwife (she was at a birthing center where they only use "natural" techniques) suggested castor oil.  She was in labor later that day!  So, it worked for her :)  Good luck... because yes, it does give you the runs!
All castor oil is is a laxative, and even though they say it may increase the chances of meconium they don't know how true it is. Most people who use Castor oil are already over due and passed their due dates, and babies who are over due tend to pass meconium anyways, so they are not sure if the castor oil even plays in the role of baby having a BM in utero(sp).

If it wasn't safe then I doubt midwives would still use it to this day. It is actually safer than using black and blue cohosh (herbs) because cohosh can act as an anticoagulant, and you can suffer severe blood loss during labor. I would much rather risk a BM in utero then risk bleeding to death.

BUT, no matter what you do, if your body and baby are not ready to come out...nothing will work. This is why im debating on using it, do I really want to spend this beautiful day on my toilet for nothing lol. But in my mind it doesn't hurt to try. It is actually safer than the drugs that hospitals use to induce you.
To add on to bts info.

Castor oil is not a nutrient and it doesnt get absorbed by our bodies.  So it cannot be transferred to the baby and cause merconium.

All it really does is "coat" your insides and it does come out with the direahha (sp)

I have heard that it isnt really a good idea. I'm sure you have tried these already but here are a few ideas that can get things moving. Sex, nipple stimulation, and going for a walk. I really believe that walking helped my labor speed up.
My friend wanted to use it an he said that some dr's say it ok to use it.  But others say that it can cause deydration from the diarrhea.  An deydration can make it harder on you during labor.  I would not take it.  Its just to uncertain.
I have heard that hot baths, foot rubs, sex, walking, squatting down while propped up next to a wall,  exercise, an riding 4 or 2 wheelers will make it happen.  ( Some thing about the vibrations making it happen... )  Yoga can make it happen too.  These are safe.
my sister in law did this. it did send her into labor, but she was going #2 the whole time. my doctor told me that it is not a good idea, and that it can make labor more painful because taking it cramps up your stomach. just imagine having a running bowel movement AND being in labor. not much fun im sure.

on a side note, my mother in law was there when my sil was in labor. she said that she was going # 2 the whole time, passing gas, and the room stunk to high heaven!
I WOULD DIE LOL!!!  Theres no way I could ever do that!  LOL
My sister used it.  She had horrible abdimnal cramps and terrible diarrhea!  She went into labor the next day or that night I think though.  I agree with BTS, if baby isn't ready or close to coming out on his own, probably nothing will work.  
I actually used it when I was 38 weeks. By that time, I had been having contractions ALL day and then they would stop at night. It did this for 3 days or so and the last day they were 5 min. apart all day and stopped again! I was in labor, but it wasn't consistent. I was also already almost 6cm. I wanted things to get going!! So my midwife mixed ice cream with the castor oil...1 hour later went to the bathroom, and my contractions were every 2-3 min. I had him 13 hours later. Now for the downside...I had the runs all day, right up until pushing! (thankfully it stopped when I was pushing!) YUCK! I also did get dehydrated and needed an IV...but recovered quickly. I'm not sure I want to go through that again unless I absolutely have to. I would never take it without a doc or midwife's supervision. She only did it because I was in labor and we needed things to be more consistent. She was 90% sure it would work since I was halfway there. Otherwise, she may not have done that. Good luck!!!
It does cause dehydration due to the constant running to the bathroom, but an easy cure for that is to keep drinking water so you stay hydrated.

I atually just got off the phone with my doc about an hour and a half ago, I asked him if it would be okay for me to try castor oil, and he says it's fine. I just need to make sure I drink all the water I can stand to stay hydrated.

It's just a laxative...and wether you drink it or use a suppository, they all do the same. Heck if it wasn't safe, why can you still get enema's in the hospital when in labor?
ohh btw....I did try the castor oil about an hour ago.....so we will see if it works. If it doesn't work...atleast I wont be bloated from all the constipation I have had lately lol.
Oh good luck BTS!!! Keep us updated! I think I drank 10-12 bottles of water while I was in labor and still unded up dehydrated...they even had me drink pedialyte (sp?)...figures...that would only happen to me, right?? lol. (I have a history of getting dehydrated quickly, so maybe that's why!)
Thanks! So far I have gone to the bathroom just twice...nothing to bad. I am however nauseated lol which to me is the worse part.

I have been contracting for 3 days now, im dilated to 4cm and 100% effaced....so maybe things will move along for me. If it doesn't work, im just going to sit back and relax and wait for it to happen.
Sounds like me...I was 4cm and 100% effaced and went into labor the next day! It will happen soon girl!! Hang in there. =)
Well so far so good. The bathroom trips aren't as bad as I was expecting, although frequent, but not horrid. The nausea is lingering but nothing worse than what I have been having lately anyways.

I have been having stronger contractions here and there, but nothing to get my hopes up lol.

I guess we just sit and wait.
BTS i had just started looking at caster oil to see if it was good or anything.  I am 37 weeks and 1 cm dilated and 70%effaced and my baby is engaged.  My doctor told me she wouldn't stop me from going to labor now, so I was wondering how you were doing.  I might go out tonight and get some for tomorrow.  =]
well, besides the nausea, and constant bathroom trips im doing good. If you are to take it I would make sure you could stay home all day and not have to leave the house lol or the safety of your bathroom.

My contractions have picked up a bit, they are stronger but not yet regular.

I do advise however, that the taste is horrid lol. I took 3 tablespoons with a glass of orange juice, and I barely got it all down.

I hope it works, but if it doesn't I atleast wont be bloated or feel constipated lol
Haha well true.  I've been pretty much at home everyday.  I was told last week at my OBGYN app.  that I was 1 cm dilated and 30% effaced.  So I walked all week, and tried having sex, and when I went today for my Dr. App that I was still 1cm dilated but 70% effaced.  She told me if I go into labor now everything will be fine.  So I guess I will try the caster oil tomorrow.  But, I am scared to do it, I should just let her come when shes ready, but I cannot wait any longer.  as bad as that sounds, I cannot wait for her to be in my arms, but I am selfish to want to speed things up.  
yes i have and yes it worked i took it straight yes it did give me the runs i took at 4pm and i starting having contractions by 9pm and my daughter was born at 7 46 am :)
point is...if baby is ready castor oil has a good chance of working, but if baby isn't ready...nothing is going to work. So if this doesn't work for me, im just going to sit, relax, and let baby come on his own.
Oh 1 more thing. If your going to try it, make sure you have some witch hazel pads or tucks pads with you. The roids are the worse!
i tried it and it made me run to the restroom to but it didn't actually put me in labor they still had to induce me so i guess its different for everyone. good luck!!!
hey BTS how are you doing?
well im not running to the bathroom as much, but im sitting here drinking some coffee having some pretty regular contractions now. Their getting pretty painful, enough to make me soak in the bathtub for a while lol. I have had contractions like this before and had them just stop....so im not sure if they are the real deal or not. Im going to wait until I can no longer function through a contraction to go in. My hospital is about a mile across the street from me, so I have plenty of time.
there are two pressure points, that if you press on them their suppose to induce labor.  If you google it, "pressure points to start labor" they will show you exactly where to press.  One in just above your ankle and one is between your thumb and index finger!  :)
Ashiepooh- Yup, tried those lol. My friend specializes in reflexology and accupressure so I had regular visits. She was actually here today and went ahead to do some work on me, she will be here tomorrow aswell cuz her hubby and my hubby play video games every friday night lol, so she will work on me some more if this castor oil doesnt work. But so far the pressure points haven't worked either, except to give me sore spots lol.

The castor oil is my last resort. If this doesnt send me into labor then im going to just relax and wait it out. My baby boy will come when he is ready to, I decided to try the castor oil because of having contractions the past 3 days straight, so I thought maybe I was in labor and just needed a boost, but we will see. Im not getting my hopes up, if he isn't ready or my body isn't ready nothing I do will work.
thats good BTS1022!  Maybe tonight or tomorrow when she shows up and your hubbys start playing video games you'll go into labor!  Hehehe interrupt the videogames!  LOL  I hope something works for you, if not then waiting it out until the baby wants to not be in anymore is always good.  

Does your hospital keep you once you get dialated to a certain point?  I know here if your 5cm your staying, but everywhere is different.  I toss all the hopes and prayers your way!!!!
Nope, My doc wont keep me unless I am 7 to 8cm, or in active labor. If im not progressing they just send me home. Im a pain in the rear lol. I like to labor at home as much as possible, so that once I get to the hospital, I just deliver and relax. Laboring at home is a lot more comfortable then in a small, cold, hard bed with tons of monitors and people around. It keeps my stress level down a lot.

The contractions are still about the same, I don't think it is going to work for me. But hey, I tried, and baby Conner said NO! So im just going to sit and wait it out. It wont be long anyways, I only have 11 more days until my due date, and im not known to go over.
im going to bed...im gonna laugh so hard if baby Conner says yes while i'm catching some sleep.  Best of luck....maybe it will take a turn for the best.  Fingers crossed for you BTS!!!
Ahaha I was just thinking what rachie204 said!!!  Ahaha, get a good night sleep BTS :)
wow i was 4 cm with both my daughters and they kept me
Oh god.
My MIL was just talking yesterday about the time her mama made her drink castor oil and orange juice to try n get her labor going cuz she went 3 weeks past with all 3 of her boys.

She told me that it tasted HORRENDOUS.
And all it did was give her the cr@ps, made he nauseated, and ended up getting hemmeroids.

Ah man, but the way she told the story just made me and everyone else laugh our A$$ES of!!

I don't think I'll be trying that myself.
My butt's already sore enough because I've taken more cr@ps in these past 3 days than I usually do in a weekly basis! lol
Yet I'm constipated... so when it happens it's like giving birth to a friggin LOG!
[[sorry, tmi. rotfl]]
lol Riot...Thats all that really happened to me....I cra pped a lot, got nauseated, and now have roids lol. I dont think I will be trying this form of *home labor induction* again. Infact I dont think I will be trying any of them lol.

Use a stool to help you get up onto a running dryer or washer!!!  Hehe...maybe that would help.
Just so you all know i was in the Hospital today and i overheard a lady asking if castor oil was a good thing and this nurse (who seemed very rude from the moment anyone came in) said that it can give the baby diahrrea so i have no idea whether this is true.. I highly doubt it is bc of all the ppl saying there docs and midwives said it was ok but i thought i would just fill you all in on that little tid bit... I think as long as you keep yourself hydrated then you should be fine. Other then that there shouldnt be anything to to bad about trying it.. Good luck if you do
I'm 36 weeks...I tried castor oil three times...first was 2 days ago mixed with kiwi strawberry koolaid (the taste was alright) and I didn't get the runs...contractions started, but then stopped.  So about 6 hours later i took more, mixed with tea (it was harder to drink cuz I got lumps of castor oil, but not too bad) still no runs, harder contractions, but again stopped.  I waited all day and then last night, I took more castor oil, this time with a popsicle, it was easy to go down, I did have the runs twice, but not unbareable, the contractions started again spaced at 8 minutes, then stopped...again...However, I woke up at 3 something with more contractions and had them until about 8.  I read though that contractions don't always start out regular, they may be irregular for a while, then space themselves evenly out.  If the castor oil didn't work, we wouldn't be getting contractions, a friend said she drank it, her contractions started, then stopped, she drank more, went walking and went into labor...she was only 36 weeks also.  good luck...about the baby bowels in the amniotic fluid, according to my doctor, it's a rare thing, and even with the use of castor oil, usually happens in overdue babies, or babies that are really big...so u shouldn't have anything to worry about...
I heard that castor oil was bad for you and baby because it can dehydrate you which causes complications.
CLARY SAGE OIL - a few drops in the bath at 8pm and my contractions started at11pm. I researched ways to induce for a while and was VERY VERY pleased with the results
I used castor oil in my first and second pregnancy and it did work both times. I went into labor a few hours after. The bad part about it was the diarrhea but it was actually nice to be clean and unloaded before going to the hospital.
How much castor oil should I take to induce labor?
I got this from a website...

Castor oil
There are reports of castor oil being used to bring on labour as far back as the Egyptians, though how it works is poorly understood. The most commonly given explanation is that it acts as a powerful laxative, and when it stimulates the gut it also stimulates the uterus and so "kick starts" labour.
Is it safe?
Nausea is likely to be the immediate effect, followed by a bad case of diarrhoea and there is a risk that you will become dehydrated. For this reason, we would NOT recommend taking castor oil.
Does it work?
A study of 100 overdue women found that 57.7 per cent began active labour after a single dose of 60ml of castor oil, as opposed to 4.2 per cent who received no treatment (Garry et al 2000). A review of this study reported no adverse affects on mother or baby but that all the women who took it felt nauseous (Kelly et al 2001). The study was not large enough to be conclusive.
How do I try it?
This is one we would NOT recommend but, according to a survey of midwives, 4 fl oz of castor oil mixed with orange juice is the usual dose. It is revolting (very oily) to drink though some suggest that making it fizzy by adding half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda helps. A second dose can be given 12 hours later.

I got this from http://www.babycentre.co.uk/ pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/#4 i broke the link up incase it didnt post but here is the actual link

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/#4
hello, i tried castor oil with my second one and it didnt do anything to me just made me go all the time. I would have had the same affect with OJ and that woudnt taste that bad. On the other side my friend did it with both of hers and she went in labor within 12hr. I dont recomend it because it can make you sick to your stomach but if you planing on drinking some you should have someone there with you for the next 24hrs incase you need to go into the hospital
Well, i am almost 39 weeks, due to be induced on Tues, but I just can't take it anymore!  I took 2 oz of castor oil with OJ about 5 hours ago, nothing yet.  Not even runs or nausea.  I went into labor the same day with my first  child at 38 weeks, then nothing with my second.  I decided to try again as it had never given me anything other than a bad taste in my mouth.  But so far nothing!  If this doesn't work then i guess i can be patient for 3 more days!!!
this sounds dumb but the 1st time i was told about trying this, i looked and said gross who drinks motor oil......OOPS THEY SOUNDED THE SAME TO ME!!!!!!! my friend just tried the laxative and it gave her the runs but no baby
i too have decided after much research to try this. i am 2 days past my due date and 4cm with contractions at night then nothing all day. thank you for sharing your attempts the best of luck to you. i will be sure to update as i go.
just checking in to say that it took 2hrs and so far it hasnt been so bad. lots of juice and a good supply of reading material. i did vomit once, but that subsided immediately after the bowel movements. will let you all know if this really does induce me.
tomorrow is my due date, i'm 100% effaced and 1cm dialated. Iread all of your stories and decided to try this route as well.I took 2 tbsp (1 oz.) with diet soda 1 hour ago. Nothing happened so far. I had to drink milk during my pregnancy for calcium and it almost made me puke each time. Castor oil was not nearly as bad. Actually, it wasn't bad at all. Now i'm patiently awaiting the results.
update: well it's been over 12 hours now and nothing happened.I pooped in the morning and that's it. No contractions, cramps etc
i just tried it with success getting it down this time around! Im so proud lol! Get a vanilla triple thick milkshake from mcdonalds, pour it in a 4oz glass and add bout 1 n 1/2 tablespoons of the oil.. I used the oderless tasteless kind! stir it up and i swear u cannot taste it or feel the consistency one single bit!! So now that ive got it down ill have ot see if it works for me! Every other time the past week i tried to drink it down or chase it with somethng and i just couldnt do it! I gagged at the way it felt in my mouth! Like vaseline! Didnt taste bad just felt nasty! But with the milkshake it didnt even phase me no1 would even know it was in there if u didnt tell em! Cant even see it! Its almost 6pm.. Just had almost a whole shake and bout 2n 1/2 tblspoons of oil.. Ill have to go get another shake if i decide to drink more!
wow the info is so great so about thirty min ago i drunk some of the oil with a home made milk shake i did four t spoons and it wasnt bad at all yesterday i chicken out because i mix it wit some orange juice and it just looked so nasty so the milk shake was good nothing has happen yet but we will see
okay ot is now 8 17 and i had some small cramping one trip to the bathroom but i honestly will be surprise if it works for me i really just  dont feel a change in my body
I'm 40 weeks pregnant and 3 days past my due date. My nurse friend recomended that I take Castor Oil only if your overdue and dialating, which i'm both. I did take a tablespoon and nothings happening yet. Ive been having contractions everyday now for the past 2 weeks. So hopefully it works!  Also, I have a friend that took the Oil the other day and she had the baby within 24hrs! I still can't believe that this stuff could work but I'm going to try it anyways.
so did the castro oil work for u?
I am 39week and 6days
I took castor oil yesterday around 2pm with juice (it came back up) I took it again  at 4:30pm. Started to feel contraction at 11pm they where 5-10mins apart not very inconsistent. I still want to the hospital I was 1cm 70%. I did not start using the bathroom until 3am in the hospital. I was sent back home because I was still only 1cm 70% the same has when I got there no change. I got home around 6am my contractions stopped  and have not started again.  I don’t know if I should try it again, but I do want to.
At 38 week ,My grandmother told me about Castor oil to induce labor.
I was sick of being with child!!!!!!IThe doctor said my body was not even starting to prepare for the birth of this child  So I mixed 1teaspoon of castor oil in hot coco . None!!!!  a week later I put a 4oz bottle of castor oil in OJ
I went to the bathroom all day, but no baby. The next day was my doctor appt. He examined me an said I was 6and 1/2 CM and fully effaced but I had not been feeling any pain  I had been shopping with my sister all morning. The doctor called the hospital to see if there was a bed ,then told me to come to the hospital that evening . He thought maybe this was the best way to make sure we were safe. He was going to help the baby along.I went home cleaned my house and pack a bag. I was at the hospital at 6:30pm and was now at 7 CM The doctor broke my water at 8:45pm and at 11:05pm we had a beautiful baby Boy!!!
  Nineteen months later I found myself  again wanting to try the castor oil I WAS 38 WEEK. Again I spend the day in the bathroom,but it did not start my labor. It only helped to start the dilatation . 8:30 am A WEEK later, I was 4 CM. at my doctor 's app.and no pain. He wanted me the go to the hospital and he was going help speed things up. NO my water broke  on the way!!!! Hard HARD  labor pain but our wonderful baby daughter was born at 11:19am  2 1/2 hours after leaving the doctor's office. I think the castor oil helped. MY friends have used it !!!!! and we have had very easy childbirth.  JUST DRINK LOT OF WATER WITH THE CASTOR
OIL!!!!!!!!

OIL!!!!!!!!

I tried it a week over due, I spent that whole day in the bathroom......no baby for 3 more days, in my opinion it does'nt bring on labor....only much discomfort.
tried castor oil at 39 weeks contractions started about an hour later and my waters broke that night, i didnt actually have my daughter till the day after,  the castor oil is disgusting i mixed mine with cream soda which was the best thing i found to kill the taste i def think it works
I am 37 1/2 weeks and I have tried everything from nipple rubbling to acupuncture and nothing has worked for me. I am about to try castrol oil but a little scared. My question is I am only 1 cm dialted does anyone know how affective it would be to take it??
i had my 2nd baby a week ago, was overdue by 5 days and completely fed up. had been gettin contractions for about a week before my due date but nothing establishing. i decided to try castor oil as a last resort since the rest just wasnt working, one chemist wouldnt give me castor oil as they knew what it was for but i had done my research and knew what what ahead so i tried the next chemist and she asked only if i was overdue (which i was so) good luck!!
went home and ate and with dinner at 4.30pm i had a glass of orange juice with 2 teaspoons of castor oil and left it to it. it was gross to drink and did leave me feeling nausiated but i think it was just the taste and the oily sensation in your mouth! i kept drinking water and did need to pee quite a lot but no number 2's or the runs.. however no contractions so i went to bed.
woke up at 10.30pm with a ache so i thought is this it? waited for 15 mins and got another one..i didnt want to do anything yet as i had had a false alarm before so i waited it out..
12mins apart  10mins apart  8 mins apart... time to leave my son to his nan's!! my hospital was a good half hour from there so in the car they has increased from 8mins to 5mins and by the time from the car park to the labor ward they were 3mins apart if not less.
i got examined and was 6 cms dilated but had to change rooms (about 6metres away..) in that time from 1 room to the next i wanted to push!!! they had ran the water pool for me and about to step in and my waters broke, got in and pushed twice and his head popped out!!i think i pushed maybe 5 times and Caelan was born weighing 8lb 14oz. i had been at the hospital from 2.00am and he was born at 2.20am with no pain relief since it was too quick!!go me!lol

i think if its not your first baby and you know what your in for and prepared for it castor oil is worth it.  drink plenty of water and dont over do it..i think its just as helping hand and if your ready your ready. i only had 1 glass and look what happened!!! i havent had anything wrong with me so far (touch wood!)..no excessive bleeding, a few clots but nothing to worry about. good luck
I did my doctor said it was ok so I mixed it with v8 and not even 24 hours later I was on my way to the hospital
i drank castor oil on wed went to hospital within 5 hrs and i was contracting for 12hrs then they stopped i wasent even dilated but i was contracting regular so now i have tryed it again bin bathroom once and no contractions just yet so fingers crossed it works x
Castor oil = violent diarrhea and contractions

I'm appx 39 weeks pregnant (and consulted my Dr who stated it was fine!) and drank 4 tbl of castor oil last night.  3 hour later, I got really bad gas and soon after, I started to get uncontrollable, violent diarrhea coupled with intense contractions.  I was miserable and spent the entire night in the restroom - even laying on the floor in the bathroom...  The contractions were definitely the worst that I've ever had, with rib cage and lower back pain as well.  I thought I was in labor.  However around 5 am this morning, everything stopped and here I am, the next day with no baby and no contractions.  

I weighed myself this morning and was down 4 lbs from yesterday, as it actually helped reduce my water weight....  would I try it again?  Probably not.
so i'm 37 weeks 6 days and beyond ready for little miss laylah to be here. yesterday i went to the flea market in the area and walked around for 2 hours in the sweltering heat, then went swimming for an hour, and even let my husband talk me into having sex just to see if something would make baby decide to come out. at my doctors appointment today there was nothing new. i have been dialated to a 1 since the last monday in may and i'm so ready to be done with the whole pregnant thing. so i am going to try the castor oil tonight!
I am also going to try the castor oil in the morning cuz I am 38 weeks and can not handle it anymore! hop that it works!!!
I am 38 weeks and 2 days...I just tried castor oil about 30 minutes ago. We will see what happens.
just tried castor oil about 30 mins ago i will be 40 weeks tomro. 1 trip to the bathroom already hoping this will work so ready to see this little boy!
I was 9 days overdue and schedualed for medical induction the next day. My midwife recommended sex, castor oil and a glass of wine to help me relax. Sex first thing in the morning (difficult but fun) castor oil at 10 am and a half glass of wine at 4pm. Labour started at 5.30pm and my son was born at 10.40pm the same day.
Any word from those of you that took the castor oil in the last 2 days??
Yes!  I tried it last year with my son.  I was 38 weeks and 1cm dilated.  I took it around 3 in the afternoon and labor started at midnight, by 5 am we were at the hospital and he was born at noon.  So it took less than 24 hours!  I am pregnant again and I still wonder if it was a coincidence or not so i might try it again.  I don't remember having the runs but I do remember the ab cramps were pretty intense.  
Hey everyone.

I'm 39 weeks along, very tired, and wanting this baby out! I tried 4 tbs of castor oil at 37 weeks and for 2 hrs. Nothing. Then at 2 1/2 hrs, nausea, followed by EXTREMELY severe cramping and rock hard contractions... But nothing besides that occured. Another 2 hrs later, everything stopped and I'm still pregnant now- two weeks later.

Obviously, my little man isn't ready to come out... But as impatient as I am, I'm going to wait until he's ready.

Just wanted to let you know of my experience.

P.S. At the time of my attempted home inducement, I was 1cm and 1/2 dialated... Still, he wasn't ready.

In anycase, I wish all of you good luck with whatever you plan to do!

I'm 40 weeks in 2 days with with my 3rd child. I live in Texas and I can't tell you how hot this summer has been for me! I became desperate this past weekend and finally tried drinking castor oil mixed with orange juice. I had never done this before so I was nervous. I mixed about 4 tablespoons with a half pint of OJ and drank it down as fast as possible using a straw and holding my nose,  then chased it with a big sip of coke to make sure the taste didn't linger. After this, I waited and waited, then took a walk. Nothing ever happened. I never vomitted, thank goodness, and what's crazy is it didn't even make me use the bathroom!! I thought I would at least get a little diahrrea! I was prepared for the worst! So needless to say, I'm still sitting here, dialated to a 2, playing the waiting game. Good things cone to those who wait I guess!
Well I know its a herb and that not everyone is ok with that kind of thing during pregnancy but I have heard a lot of good things about Black Cohosh.
However I was told by a naturalist that Blue Cohosh is the one you DO NOT want to take.
Anyway just thought I would put that out there....
i'm thinking of doing castrol oil tomorrow morning...i'm almost 38 weeks and they said if i don't go into labor by next week that we'll set a date to be induced
I just went to walgreens to get the castor oil. I am 2cm dialated and have been having contractions for two weeks. I am sooo ready for this little boy to come out. I am going to try the castor oil tonight. I am up all night with pain anyway, lol! will let you know what happened.
well, i tried the castor oil yesterday, 2 TBSP and all i did was puke and havve diaherria. it's awful tasting and it makes you feel like you have the flu. no contractions. my OB said it was ok to take and she scraped my membranes the day before because im 3cm and 90% effaced. i'm due in 8 days. and i was told by her not to do nipple stimulation because it's bad for the baby " fetal distress" and too strong of contractions.
38 1/2 weeks pregnant. it's 930 a.m.. and last night i've went bowling walked around for hours, did squats, danced EVERYTHING. and still dialated to a 1cm, so going to try caster oil. hope it works!
Why do you want to be crapping all over the place with intense bowel cramos while in labor???  think about it....  seriously, are you all nuts?
so im 3cm dilated and 75% effaced, i get light contractions but only at night time. im 38 weeks with my 1st child and can not wait to get this little girl out of me. i tried walking and even sex but got nothing... so ive been thinking about castor oil but im really scared i will "use the bathroom" on myself while giving birth or that it wont work at all. **NEEDS ADVICE**
I know you're uncomfortable and just want to have your baby, but I really wouldn't recommend it. If your body isn't ready for labour, it's not going to do a single thing for you. Don't worry. Baby will come when she's ready.
I tried castor oil.when I was 12 days over,it dont work,just makes you go to the loo.lots of poo's.dont worry baby will come when ready.What i did was walk up and down the stairs,several times.good luck.
I'm 37 1/2 weeks prego and as of 10/27 I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced.  Lost my plug last night.  No contractions though.  I was thinking of taking a small dose of castor oil to speed up the process, but I'm not too sure yet??  Maybe tonight?
Don't do it. It can cause all sort of problems. Plus your baby isn't even due yet. Relax your baby will be here soon. You don't need to do anything to speed up the process.
iam 37 weeks but my doc said they think they got my due date wrong and i could relly be 38 to 39 weeks iam 3cm and 70% and have been have contrachions 3 days strait but they aint strag enough so iam teying castor oil as speek
I am 37 weeks pregnant and I used castro oil with my last pregnancy and it worked hopefully it will work for this one I only take 1 tbspn
well it didnt work i just whent to the bathroom alot and now have relly bad reflux from the oj
i am 39 and 2, 3 cm dialated and my midwife scraped my membranes yesterday. I bought the oil last night and am hesitant to try it.. how effective do people really think this is?? would it be worth a try? and if you think so.. how much do i take?
I tried using it two days ago. Im 39 weeks along today and last week I was dilated 2-3cm and thinned out. I got a headache right after. Took some Tylenol and a nap. Woke up, had diarrhea, relaxed for awhile and ate some dinner. My family made tamales and I don't typically eat spicy food but heard it was supposed to help. So I ate a tamale. About a half an hour later I was back on the toilet with diarrhea. While on the toilet I threw up in the bathtub next to me. I think the mix of spicy food and Castor oil was just a terrible idea. Over all nothing happened except a bad headache, diarrhea and throwing up. Note, I never threw up once my entire pregnancy until this day. No contractions and im still pregnant. I think people mistake bowel movement cramping for contractions and go to the hospital and get admitted because they were already dilated. Soo not worth it.
I tried this yesterday, 37.5 weeks 2 cm dilated short anterior cervix but only 10% effaced.  About 30 minutes I went to the bathroom a couple of times (nothing as gruesome as some of the posts) threw up 1 time but that was more me forcing it a bit due to the yucky feeling in my tummy overall wasnt THAT BAD of an experience.  went to sleep for a bit woke up with pains 2 hrs later.....regular contractions however only 30 seconds long and i could still talk through them.  Thsi went on for about 3 hrs went to hospital to get checked (this is baby number 4 so they want me heading in right away) and it was false labor! Although the contractions werent too bad it was still painful for nothing.  but was told this is prodromal labor? Braxton hicks is the training prodromal labor is the stretching and warming up then the real thing hits.  Quick note though, i did have full permission from my dr to try this, she just said be prepared for the side effects of castor oil.  Didnt work for me bt if i were closer to dd possibly? I think everyone should make their own well informed decision but remember, if you are before term and thinking of trying this likely you will just get the runs and a good clean out, its not going to cause labor.
Hi i'm 38 weeks and being induced in 11days, had some about an hour ago (just 1 tablespoon to test it) so far i have been to the toilet once but not a bad trip, seemed quite normal. Feeling a little bit nauseous (but then again i have been cleaning the house for the last 2hrs and that's enough to make anyone feel sick). Will see what happens.
At 38 weeks my doctor said that I could try it. I had heard a lot of negative things about it (obviously) but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to try it. I had a membrane sweep the morning before and was at 3 cm 85% effaced (had been 2-3 cm and 80-85% effaced from week 32 on) that evening a took a mile long walk was given a massage and took a warm bath with a glass of wine since i heard a glass can also send you into labor. When I got out of the bath I still didnt have any contractions so I  decided to do the castor oil. I wimped out and only took 1/3rd of the recommended dosage mixed with eggs. Within an hour I was having contractions 3 minutes apart. I waited for 1 hour and they didn't lessen so I went to the hospital where I was 4 cm and 100% effaced. Although my contractions were off the charts they wouldn't admit me until I was 5 cm so I had to walk the halls for an hour. After that my water broke and within an hour and a half I had my daughter. I'm still to this day not sure if it was the castor oil or a mix of all the things I did that night or if it was just coincidence. If you are given the OK though by your doctor and you want to try it just take a super small amount. I didn't poop or throw up once.
I am 39 weeks pregnant. I have been dialated to 4cm for like 3 weeks and at my last visit i was over 5 cm dialated! also am 90% efaced and at a -1 station! my mom is in town waiting for this baby to be born so I have been trying everythig (walkin, jumpin, bumpy car rides, sex, read leaf tea, hot baths, pressure points, nipple stimulation).

Today I went to the store my mom wanted me to try castor oil. I drank about 2 ounces of it (pretty gross tasting and was like the texture of vaseline in our mouth. hard to get off ur lips n outa ur mouth). I drank it about 45 mins ago n so far nothing has happened.

I will let every1 know what happens! hope it works! keep ur fingers crossed for me
castor oil really works if you and baby are actually ready!
YOU SHOULD NEVER TAKE IT BEFORE YOUR DUE DATE, THERE IS A REASON YOU HAVE A DUE DATE, YOUR BABY USUALLY ISN'T READY, SO DON'T BE SELFISH LADIES!
   My water broke & 2 days later my contractions were just sporadic, so it was time to try castor oil.  there is a specific dosage you will need to follow from your midwife or doc......  I took as directed throughout the day, no diarrhea until 9pm, contractions came with!  I delivered at 12:23, less than 3.5 hours!  It was intense but I was glad to have a happy healthy baby!  FYI:  It does not cross the placenta therefore will not cause your baby to have a bowel movement, very overdue babies are at risk of having bowel movements.  good luck & remember don't try before 39 to 40 weeks!
I did on tuesday evening april 6th 2011 at about 10pm, I mixed 2 oz with 5 eggs and scrambbled them, I was 38 weeks 2 days... the reason I did this is because I was measuring 4 weeks over and at my ultrasound at 36 weeks they were guessing his size was 8 lbs and were talking about c- section... I did not want that so i was desparate to try something else!! anyways, like i said i ate my eggs at 10 pm and I started contracting at 11:27 but it was very mild so I thought nothing of it... I did not get sick nor have the runs... I went to bed about midnight and woke up at 4 with hard contractions, went to the hospital and they told me I was at 5 cm and 70 % effaced... then they checked me again an hour later and I was 9 cm and 100% effaced. My labor was very fast 4 hours, from the first hard contraction to delivering my baby boy at 8 am 8lbs 2 oz. He was perfectly healthy. It is a matter of timing, If your body is not ready this method will not work... I asked my doctor if I was safe and she said that it was, I asked her about the link of meconium asperation to castor oil and she said that most people who use the castor oil method are over 40 weeks in which because they are over due automatically puts them at higher risk for meconium asperation.good luck, to all mothers to be.
I am 37 weeks with my first baby and he already weighs 7lbs. My Dr says if I go full term odds are I will have to have a c-section because of how big he is gonna be. I do not want to have a c-section. Do u think 37 weeks is safe to take castor oil? I got a bottle last night and was scared to take it. Please help.me!
i took 4 tbl sppons of castor oil mixed with some oj about 2 hours ago thankfully havent had to use the bathroom yet and havent been nauseated but i am starting to have contractions hopefully this works
Def let us know what happens!!!
Debating on doing this myself....if no labor comes of it then atleast I'll clean out my bowels. I hardly go to the bathroom anymore =( About to go to Walgreens and buy some and debate here a bit. Anyone heard of mineral oil helping?
Ok, im 38 weeks and being induced in a week if she doesnt come on her own, so im determined to try castor oil, cuz rather that than the pitcoin. So i hope it works, im off to store to buy it and get a mcdonalds shake, read on here a lady said it worked well for the taste..ill keep you posted
I will be 38weeks on dis tuesday cumming ;...and i jus cant wait any longer;..im thinkin bout takeing the castor oil;..
I just turned 38 weeks this Thursday (7-28-11) I'm thinking about trying castor oil too...
I was going to try it yesterday morning, it says its tasteless on the bottle but its not. I read to mix it with a milkshake and it helps but I took two sips and I didn't get the runs instead I couldn't keep it down. I am going to try evening primerose oil capsules. That there is 3 different ways to use it. We will see if it works, it also says it helps with skin condition like excema and I hope it helps with my pupps, will keep you posted
               I tried that with my last baby and although it did make me have some contractions it didnt make me go into full labor so I wouldnt suggest it. Alot of cramping and pain that goes no where.
please help i know some ppl may think im being selfish but hear me out im 35 weeks and i have an umbilical hernia i cant take it anymore im constantly in pain and i cant do anything i also suffer from high bblood pressure do you think i should take castor oil please help
there is no reason for you to be in that much pain it not selfish to not want to hurt but 35 weeks is not considered full term because your baby still needs time to develop their lungs and gain weight so i wouldn't do anything to induce labor this early anything after 38 weeks is considered full term you made it this far talk to your doctor and see if they can help you make it through these last 3 weeks
Tried this at 39 weeks with my first son...I drank a small bottle full about 4 ounces with OJ after a long evening walk and within six hours I woke with diarrhea and vomiting simultaneously...I was also having cramps that felt like severe diarrhae cramps but not as intense for me to think they were contractions...in between going to the bathroom while I was laying down my water bag broke and then I knew things were really kicking..and my 'cramps' were gettign closer and closer apart...I rushed to the hospital and was already 6cm! All said, within fours hours I gave birth to my son...I am now 36 weeks and 1-2cm and I am planning on trying this again, maybe when I am fully 37 or 38...it really works and the labor is totally bearable and I never needed epidural or any medications...afterwards you will be glad you do not have to deal with constipation lol
Okay so I'm 36 weeks and 3days. I took 2ounces of castrol oil yesterday @ 6pm. By 1am. I was having heavy contractions. Went in to the hospital @ 4. Was only dialated to a one ... Got sent home at 10:30 this morning. Should I take some more castrol oil. ? Help mothers.!
I wouldn't. It can make you have the runs really bad and your baby isn't going to come until he's ready. At only 36 weeks i would wait. Your babies lungs might not be as mature as they should be and he might have to stay in the hospital. I would wait until your body is ready. Youve made it this far whats a couple more weeks?
OMG NO! dont do it! mamaof4410 is right, your baby is not considered full term! moms who take this are full term or past overdue... i would wait at least 2 more weeks(if you REALLY cant wait)... you can cause serious affects to your baby if he/she is born and the lungs are not developed fully! why would you want to risk not being able to hold your baby when he/she is born cause you were in a hurry not the baby... thats selfish and unsafe dont do it!
I have mixed feelings about it. I took it the first time and took 4 cap fulls of it straight, I got a few contractions about two hours later then it was done with. I waited and took some two days later and mixed 2 ounces of it with 6 ounces of orange juice but I only drank half of it. A couple hours later my contractions set in they were every 4 minutes when they first started. I got to the hospital 2 hours later and they started coming right after another. I was checked when I first got hooked up and was not dilated or thinned out at all. Two hours later I was checked and was 2 centimeters. Then they were still coming back to back but had made me stop dilating. I was in the hospital for 7 hours and they told me to go home still having the contractions. Since then my contractions stopped and nothings happened. I tried to take 2 teaspoons last night and nothing happened at all. There really is no taste to it but the oilyness of it made me gag numerous times. I guess it is true that it will only work if your baby is ready to come out. It ***** but I just have to wait a 2 more weeks to finally meet my baby boy.
I'm 37 weeks and 5 days along. This is baby #3 and I'm dilated to a 1 so far. This morning around 7:30 I drank about two ounces of the oil with some OJ. Taste wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  Its 11:00 right now and I've only made about three trips to the bathroom.  I'm nauseous but nothing too bad. I'm not contracting. Just sitting drinking water making sure I stay hydrated! I'm starving but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to eat right now!??
Please realize that while there's a risk to the mother of dehydration (which also puts the baby at risk)...the "unseen" risk is that baby will have a bowel movement in the uterus as a result of castor oil. More progressive midwives are beginning to advise against using castor oil, and most OBs today do not advise it.....even 38wks is barely full-term and baby could be in there for weeks more with a bowel movement. you need to discuss this with your midwife/OB if you don't go into labor soon because they may need to check on baby's condition.
When I went into labor with my daughter 2-1/2 yrs ago, I had severe back labor and every time I had a contraction I had to vomit and poop at the same time. This lasted for 45 hrs after which I had a c-section. That was without castor oil. I am now almost 39 weeks with my 2nd daughter, and do not want to have another c-section because I am 2 weeks overdue and the baby is too big. I have been going to an acupuncturist for the last 2 weeks, and also having my membranes stripped at my midwifes appt. Last tuesday I was 2 cm dilated and cervix was nice and soft but still thick. I have been taking evening primrose oil 3 times a day and drinking red rasberry leaf tea once a day for the last month. I work on my feet 6-8 hrs a day 4 days a week and have been having fairly regular braxton hicks contractions that are either short but spaced closely together (30 secs, 3 mins apart) or long but spaced far apart (1min, 11 mins apart) I passed my mucus plug yesterday. My next acupuncture and midwife appt is on monday, If nothing has happened by then, I am going to try the Castor Oil.
When I went into labor with my daughter 2-1/2 yrs ago, I had severe back labor and every time I had a contraction I had to vomit and poop at the same time. That was without castor oil. I am now almost 39 weeks with my 2nd daughter, and do not want to have another c-section because I am 2 weeks overdue and the baby is too big. I have been going to an acupuncturist for the last 2 weeks, and also having my membranes stripped at my midwifes appt. Last tuesday I was 2 cm dilated and cervix was nice and soft but still thick. I have been taking evening primrose oil 3 times a day and drinking red rasberry leaf tea once a day for the last month. I work on my feet 6-8 hrs a day 4 days a week and have been having fairly regular braxton hicks contractions that are either short but spaced closely together (30 secs, 3 mins apart) or long but spaced far apart (1min, 11 mins apart) I passed my mucus plug yesterday. My next acupuncture and midwife appt is on monday, If nothing has happened by then, I am going to try the Castor Oil.
I took 3.5 oz of castor oil mixed with the same amount of pure orange juice at 12 o clock tonight,Made me boke while drinking it. By 1am got worst stomach cramps ever and then had to run 2 the bath room threw my guts up and crapping threw the eye of a needle.By  2am started getting mild contractions probably had 3 in the hour.Then by 3am had contractions coming every 15 mins and lasting a gd few mins.Its now 5 am n still getting contractions feeling pretty tired n sick still but trips to the bathroom have died down.Hopefully the contractions will keep coming n ill meet my lil man soon. Im 38 weeks but been in extreme pain 4 the past 2 weeks.Couldnt take no more n just got desperate.
Do NOT do this.  I attempted with my first pregnancy and all it did was put me in the hospital with an IV because I became so extremely dehydrated because the amount of fluid you lose is way more than you can put in at the same rate. It did not make the baby come, unfortunately this is one of those things you will just have to wait for. Plus if you did do it and went into labor you would end up having the runs come out all over the table and possibly the baby as you push and that would be really nasty!
Well all pains stopped at 7 this morning,went to bed then and just woke up at 2 in the afternoon. Feeling a bit groggy  and dissapointeded. No baby so looks like I'll just have to wait for him to come in his own time. Bottom line is it didn't work. Just made me in a lot of pain and gave me a sore bottom lol
I've never done it cause I always heard it just makes u really sick and dehydrated but like I said I've never tried so not real sure
Thought I'd do an update on the question ' does castor oil, help to induce labour?' I bought some castor oil capsules, just as easy to get hold of as the oil and took 13 of them at 8 in the evening monday just gone was 39+2 by ten I was having dull labor pains and had only felt loose on my bowls by 1 twice. Managed to sleep through some early labour pains and by 5 in the morning they were coming on pretty strong. Went to my normal midwife app at 9 that morning at the surgery and babys head was fully engaged and heart rate etc was doing well, midwife estimated I would have had him by 2am early hours next morning, came home and contractions were strong so went into hospital, routine check and I was 3cm, though contractions not close enough together so had to go home again. Home again by 1pm and by 2.30 contractions were really bad, mucus plug had come away and waters were breaking.. Came back into hospital 3.30 and was 8cms dilated! Then into the low of being in labor and was stressed and horrible but by 7.38 that evening had my little boy on nothing but gas and air. 22 hours of labor all in all nearly but castor oil got my baby boy here just in time for his first chirstmas!!
  I am 38 weeks pregnant, and scheduled for a c-section in 8 days...however I am considering trying castor oil tomorrow night to hopefully go into labor sooner...I am kind of nervous but I do see that it works for alot of people...Not sure what to do???
im currently 36 weeks. Not going to start labour (so please no grief) but my friend did with castor oil but she couldnt take it with juice as the look mad her ill. She was sick for full 9 months of preggers But the midwife told us if she rubbed it on her bump and keep heat on it would work the same as drinking myt take a little longer and we tryed and rubbed it in at 6pm monday night and put hairdryer on it constant and she had her baby 2 day past DD on tue morning about 5.30 am. She did have complaications as baby was to studdon to come out and needed help but all was well after that. no problems with baby after birth and she only had a few stiches but doc and midwifes have said that had nothing to do with castor oil that could of happened if she had been on time or any time after DD!! hope this helps with anyone who doesnt want to drink castor oil.

x
I am thinking of taking castor oil.
i tried it w my second son..but that was 9years ago..was back n forth to bathroom for about 2 tah 3 hrs..went hospital cause i jus knew he was ready..he was coming out b4 docs had gotten there gloves on..jus a bit nerves cause its been so long n ev pregnancy is dif..ill b 40 weeks n 2 days n wana take it n the morning..so ready to see my. Lil Sebastian
I tried two tablespoons of Casot oil at 39 wks and it gave me contractions that night but nothing more should I take more?
I tried it with my second pregnancy. This was 20 years ago. I took it late afternoon. In the middle of the night I woke up with really bad diarreah (diarrhea) and it gave me hemorroids (hemorrhoids). By morning I was having contractions and lost my mucus plug. within 6 hours I was at the hospital and delivered a healthy baby boy with an apgar score of 10. I worked for me but because of how bad the diarreah (diarrhea) was and getting hemorroids (hemorrhoids) I did not try it with my 3rd pregnancy.
I drank the whole bottle mixed in a glass of orange juice. I think I took too much because the diarrea (diarrhea) was very bad.
My friend was 3 weeks over due and drank the castor oil on recommendation of another friend. Anyway she drank it with me around 8 pm and we went to bed. She was in my room by 2am with a broken water and we went to the hospital. She had her baby 8 hours later. Before the oil she tried everything without help....I say try it!  Good luck!!
I used castor oil to bring on labour and it worked well, with hardly any side-effects. But I was 42 weeks, Bishop's Score 6 (dilated 3-4cm) and had been having stop-start contractions for about a week. I was booked for medical induction that night, which I wanted to avoid as all my friends who had been induced ended up with complications or really long labours. I had tried everything else - walking, sex, reflexology, curry... everything. In the end I followed the advice here http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/coMec.html. I took the mixture at 4am, gentle contractions started within 1/2 hr, building up gradually, baby born by 4pm. The only side effect was one big case of the runs at 6am but it was over in minutes and didn't affect the rest of my labour. I took care to stay hydrated anyway. My baby was born at home, as planned, everything really straightforward. Also I should mention it's my second baby so my body already knew the way. My verdict? Good as a last non-medical resort but make sure your body and baby are ready.
I'm 38 weeks and  1.5cmI just did the castrol oil about 2 hrs ago I only took 2 tablespoons I mixed it with a milkshake and couldn't even taste it...I dint get sick or have too use the bathroom, it just mad me gassy and give me cramps...not sure if it's going to work but I'm glad I tried a small dose.
One of the problems with castrol oil is that everyone takes it before they are due. When you are 37/38 weeks you are not technically due yet and shouldn't expect to have the baby. If you are past due then I suppose you can give it a try but is it worth the dehydration and time spent going to the bathroom???
Hi ive used castor oil with only one of my kids. I have four kids with one on the way. Three girls and one boy,I was so misserable with my son that I tried whatever. I was only 15 week's  when I started taking castor oil and it started contractions instantly and I went to the hospital and took the castor oil with me when they got my contractions underway I drink a lil more and they ranned in to try to stop them again. They didnt know what was causing me to contract but because of my actions my son was almost breeched and he was a week early but he was healthy overall. So it worked for me but everybody is different so its up to you but whatever you decide just make sure its what you want. Congratulations on a healthy baby...
i am 37 weeks with my last child, i have tried everything to get her to make her way out and nothing has dialated me at all im still fully closed. i drank castor oil 5 mins ago, this is my last attempt if this dont work i am done trying until she decides its time...Hoping for the best!!!
It works!! It works!! My sister in law tried this, she was in labor 3 hours later. Then my friend also did this and she was in labor 8 hours later. No complications just normal delivery. Like above said its not absorbed by us so can not cause merconium. That is false. Could also make you go to to bathroom though. Good luck!!
i am 35 weeks and when im 37 weeks and a half i am going to try castor oil and pray to god it work but i will  be sure to keep everyone updated on how it go so be back on march 8th
It works but god its horrible don't do it I warn u....try light walking or light sex...both might work without the vomit and the *****. I have seen this done time and again....everyone I know has after said horrible idea.  
i sure hope it does work for me!! i took 2oz at 9am and used the bathroom about 30 mins ago but everything stopped now! its going on 2:30 for me now i sure hope labor kicks in soon. should i take more later if im not in labor?
im about to hit 40 weeks monday and i tried the castor oil two days ago and made me start having contractions 5 mins apart but i havent dialted yet so today i tried a little more hopeing that it will work, so far nothing but makeing them come faster and the runs hasnt helped him come out yet soo good luck to whoever elsa trys it! remeber everyiones bodys act differently!
wait untill tomm to take some more, you dont want to take to much all in one day. if nothing happens today then wake up at 7am tomm and take 2tbl more with oj.. good luck and i hope it works for you bc as of right now its just giving me contractions but no change to where i need to go to the hospital.
I took some yesterday 2/28 around. 7pm I got the runs suddenly at almost 1am then followed really intense contractions that were one minute apart... At this time I was only a finger tip dilated. The contractions lasted an hour before they got 2 mins apart. The were very painful.  I was taken to OB unit and got a bed they hooked me up to monitors.  They checked my I was 1cm... Gave me pain meds via needle... Two hours later I was 1 to 2 cm, one hour later I was 2 to 3 cm... My doctor came in and checked me an hour later I was 3cm then they gave me more pain meds, checked me an hour later and I was still 3cm... Had I progressed to 4 cm they would have admitted me with active labor status... So they sent me home but once I got home the pain stopped around 11am... I am 3cm 75%... I have tried for round two at 10:30p tonight so we shall see what this round does... They say you can repeat it after 12 hours.  I took 2tbs with dole orange pineapple and banana juice but this time I drank a latte behind it.
39 weeks 2 days today and got desperate. I took 1 tbs of castor oil at 12 noon today. So far nothing. I know its a smaller dose then most people seem to take but I am sensitive to laxatives and figure if a little help doesnt work he's just not ready to come out yet!
Ok so and hour and a half in and some mild cramping so far. Went pee and lost a big chunk of my mucous plug. Will keep updating as the day goes on :)
2 1/2 hours in and having contractions every 3-5 minutes. We'll see how long it keeps up! Still no pooping or puking :)
took 1 tbs at noon. Contractions started at 2. Went hospital at 10 was 9cm and had baby at midnight! Worked for me! But i was almost 40 weeks. No poopin or pukin either!
i just drink 2 tablespoons of castor oil it was awful to get down.. when i went to my doctor appointment yesterday they told me i was 1cm and 50% effaced so i through it would be a great time to try it... will keep you posted to let you know if it worked for me..8:48am
well i had a little contractions and 1 bm but thats it maybe something will change cause im ready to see my baby girl maybe i will try it again cause i then it have to be with orange juice and i took it with sweet tea lol but im have some contraction but thats it nothing too bad. 3:59
i tried it again but if nothing happens this time i dont thank i was try again its too hard to drink down lol but so far 1 bm but i took it at 7:40 so pray for the best will keep you updated
really bad cramping feeling in stomach and feel like i have to have a bm but i cant going to try to go to sleep but these cramps hurt really bad will keep u updated
I am 39 weeks today! I have tried primrose oil and red rasberry leaf tea for the past week.  having  irregular contractions that are not getting stronger  for the past two weeks now. went to the doctor a week in a half ago and was 1cm and 70%. so today i tried 2 TBSP of castor oil in some orange juice we will see what happens. Hopefully it ends with my lil man in my arms.
YES IS does work my sister in law had some and 5 1/2 hours later she was in labor.,,,, i know im about 3 years late lol
I'm 39 weeks 2 days, have an apt tomorrow and am going to check with my Doctor to see if it's ok to try castor oil. Judging by the comments below it has about a 50% success rate which gives me hope because the thought of possibly having to wait 2 more weeks to deliver makes me want to cry. The one thing that surprises me is the amount of women that admitted to trying the oil in their 36 and 37 weeks of pregnancy. Just seems a bit dangerous to try almost a month early. Most of the women stated that the oil didn't work so I guess if your body isn't ready then the baby is staying put ) lol
Did it work?
I am 36+5 and I am desperate to jumpstart labor. My doctor who I seen Monday says that I am dilated 1cm, 50% effaced, and -2 stationed. He says he wants to see me back at 38+2 (Mar 18) to strip or sweep my membranes and from there if I haven't gone into labor but I'm at least 2.5 cm he'll induce me at 39wks (Mar 23). If I am not 2.5cm by then he plans to just induce on April 30th. This is my second baby and I had to be induced with my 1st  but this go round I'd like it to happen naturally so would any of u advise castor oil? I've already bought it but I'm a lil nervous and I want more opinions. What do u think?
Well, my mom was told by her doctor to use castor oil to induce labor when she was 38 weeks pregnant and it worked. I don't have any health problems. She also used it with my sister at 38 weeks as well and it worked. I just don't see how that could be a coincidence...
I'm 38 weeks and just tried 2tbsp of castor oil with coke....I wouldn't have if the contractions would just stop...I don't think it's gonna work but hey of it doesn't I won't be constipated anymore...anyone wanna know what happens? So I can keep updated
I do! Just to see what comes out of it!
DO NOT TRY IT... It hs worked for a lot of girls but it can b very unsettling and dangerous! U will get very sick, puking,pooping and horrible stomach pains not to mention it can cause ur baby to have its first bowel movement which can cause serious problems that u dont want. Its not worth it!! Stick wit nipple stimulation, walking, squating and sex (or do it urself) sperm and orgasm helps! i gave myself an orgasm every night sometimes twice for four days and went from 1cm 60%thinned to 3cm 80% thinned. Its worth a shot and totally safe! Good luck!
My first baby was 41 +1 and over 10 lbs. This time I wanted labor to start earlier so that the baby would be smaller as everything looked to be going in the direction of my first.

I had already been doing a ton of natural stuff to help encourage my body; RRL tea, EPO, walking, sex, stairs, etc. but when baby still had not come I decided that I had had enough and to try castor oil.

At 39 weeks and 3 days I took 12 castor oil capsules (equivalent to 1 tablespoon) in the evening at 10pm. At 2am I started having diarrhea - not too bad but enough to give me cramps (which was the point). During the night I was able to sleep but did feel uncomfortable and had to go to the bathroom about 4 times. By the end it was definitely a bit sensitive down there (although I did not get hemmroids etc- it was more like having a case of the flu).

Then at 6 am the stomach issues were pretty much over and contractions started. The contractions were irregular and super easy for me to deal with, in fact I was pretty sure that labor wasn't actually starting! However we decided to head to the hospital at 1pm and I learned I was already at 8cm. I had my baby at 3:45pm (only 8.9 pounds!!! -would definitely have ended up as big if I had waited as length was the same) without meds and overall it was a GREAT birth!!! I had no issues with the diarrhea,etc once labor started and if we have a third I would definitely use castor oil again.

I think using a small dose ( 1 tablespoon) and waiting until your body is close to labor- (after 39 weeks ideally) is key for it being a good experience :) Good luck ladies!!
I was 38 weeks pregnant with my daughter (1st child) and used castor oil to induce labor. The taste is extremely awful but right after I drank a bit of soda so it wasn't that bad . About 2 hours later my contractions started and not even 7 hours later my daughter was born. I did have the runs real bad at home before reaching the hospital but then again it was thanksgiving night and I had eaten like a cow ... My daughter was born 6lbs 8oz and healthy she is now 2 years old and driving me crazy Lol I'm now 26 weeks pregnant with my son and will most likely use it again ! My best friend also did it with her 2 kids. And they also turned out fine hope this helps goodluck :)
Im 37.5 weeks pregnant I tried castor oil laxt night(12-11-12) not even a hour later I thru up and fell asleep and 40mins later woke up to really bad contractions they lasted a hour but I didnt feel as if they were there strongest they stoppd a hour later I feel asleep nd now its 10:12am and im have n bad cramps so far I feel like it didnt work
Well Ladies I am 39 weeks and just had 2-3 tablespoons of Castor Oil and yea it was gross! I'll let you know if it works!
So after a long night of ******** ever hour, on the hour, and taking 2 hot baths last night to help with the cramping-- I've almost reached the 12 hour mark and must say my son is locked and loaded and ready to come. I am having a ton of pressure. Yesterday the doc said I was 3 cm and 80% effaced. This morning it feels like he is now sitting lower causing tremendous pressure 24/7 and my stomach is rock hard. I am still pooping so I really don't wan't to take another dose--Instead I will go for a walk and keep everyone updated.
I was so eager to get my first daughter here I tried it at 38 weeks. It made me have horrible cramps n diarrhea but no baby for another two weeks! It wasn't worth trying it in my second or even this pregnancy. Made me feel that awful!
do caster oil help u?
I used it with my daughter 2& 1/2 weeks before my due date I started having contractions two hours after words but I also took a long walk rightafter I took it but my water didn't break until.like 12 hours later
I took it yesterday around 7:39 pm by 5 am I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes .. They were really hurting ( I've been 4cm since 34 weeks) they checked me and I was still 4cm but I am now 100% effaced. They sent me home =\ I didn't have any diarrhea just gas now I feel constipated.. Lol
I'm 39w5d. I tried castor oil 2 weeks ago at around 7:50pm. Took 2 tbsps. Took another dose at around 9:00pm. I woke up at 0:30am with bad diarrhea cramping andcontractions mixed together. Contractions were strong and frequent (3 to 6 minutes apart) so we headed to the hospital. This is our second child and was told that labor could go very quickly with a second baby. I was only 1 cm dilated so they told me to walk around the hospital for
2 hours and checked me again and I was still at 1 cm. I was sent home, contractions stopped as soon as I had breakfast.

I've been on theinduction list for 6 days now do to low fluid. They are so busy at the hospital that my induction keeps being posponed. As i mentioned, I am 39w5d today. After my doctor appointment this morning, I took about 2 ozs of castor oil again, thinking it should work this time. So far, i had mild diarrhea and mild cramping. I went to the store, walked around, did some chores at home, and all i get are Braxton Hicks. I really hope castor oil works for me this time. It's been 4 1/2 hours since I took it. I'm starting to feel hopeless...
Update:

Mild contractions started at 4:30ish, but thought i'd be false labor cause they were short, yet so close together, around 2-3 minutes apart. By 5pm, they were got more painful. By 6pm, they were strong and consistent, but still a little short, around 30 seconds, but very frequent. We decided to head to the hospital and i spent the entire ride screaming in pain. Got there and i was 4 cm dilated, as opposed to 1.5cm that very same morning, so I was admitted. I went from 4cm to 10cm in less than 45 minutes!!!!!! Healthy 7 lbs Baby girl was born early that evening.

So it took less than 8 hours from the moment I took castor oil to holding my baby in my arms.
It didnt work for me:(i wanted my baby but mind bad ill just wait