PREGNANCY 18-24
COMMUNITY
How long does marijuana stay in the placenta?
by Dani582, Dec 30, 2012
I smoked marijuana UNTIL I found out I was pregnant, in fact I smoked such a small amount that it didnt even show up at the required drug test at my first appointment. I am now terrified because my friend told me that it doesn't matter if you smoked once or a thousand times, marijuana will show up in the placenta and in the babies poop. Does anyone know if this is true? Will DCFS be contacted?
Member Comments (30)
by GoBrandiRanger, Dec 30, 2012
The doctor usually doesn't call unless you have it in your system when baby is born. It stays in your system 30 days and amount DOES matter.
by pmaried, Dec 30, 2012
The drug test came back clean.. meaning the THC is no longer in your system. if it were, the test would have showed the THC. So if it's not in yours it wouldn't be in your baby's system or the placenta. Just focus on the here & now don't worry too much about it.
by jorden_rose3, Dec 30, 2012
I've never heard of going to the doctor and them doing a drug test on you. That's a first to me. "my friend told me that it doesn't matter if you smoked once or a thousand times, marijuana will show up in the placenta and in the babies poop" I have NEVER heard of this. It is not true. A friend of mine smoked A LOT before she knew she was pregnant and is still continuing to smoke it. She has had 4 different ultrasounds and it does not show marijuana in the placenta! Idk where your friend got that info from but its wrong.
by pmaried, Dec 30, 2012
Well an ultrasound wouldnt reveal drugs & chemicals anyhow.. i have heard of drug tests given on occasional basis of prior history of abuse, but never as a mandatory requirement..
by Dani582, Dec 30, 2012
No, not ultrasounds, when they pull the afterbirth and send it to pathology I'm worried about it being tested. I googled this question and got many conflicting responces. One site said that the placenta is like the "motherboard" and keeps all traces of anything the mother has ingested. Another site said that the babies poop also does this. I don't think the 30 day THC rule applies here, though I wish it did.
by jorden_rose3, Dec 30, 2012
This is my friends 3rd child. She smoked through all of her pregnancies. I'm sure if the tested anything, they would've confronted her about it but they didn't. I honestly wouldn't be so worried about it. Focus more on your baby and just enjoy being pregnant. Also didn't ask, how far along are you?
by missdale2012, Dec 30, 2012
I was going to ask the same thing..cuz i smoked up until i was 16 weeks and a lady from social services came and told me that my drug levels was high.. i got scared and quit..but the last week of November..i slipped up and smoked a little bit and haven't touched it since..and im due on the 11th..im hoping that everything comes back negative cuz i haven't seen her in a while..this is my first baby and i don't want cps coming to my house..
by Dani582, Dec 30, 2012
Im 24 weeks along and wasnt worried about this at all until my friend told me abour the placenta thing. I dont want cps coming to my house either. I wish it didnt cost so much to ask a doctor this question so we could know for sure.
by MamacitaTP, Dec 30, 2012
I don't think they automatically test everyone..
But I can tell you (kinda more of a cool fact) that some people get "false positives" when tested for marijuana use even if they smoked it months earlier. Some of the THC can be stored in fatty tissues. When you work out, and you happen to work off the fatty tissue the THC is stored in then it can show up in your system. To what extent you'd need to smoke, gain weight and work out I'm not too sure.

You'll be just fine! :D