Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Is it safe to take Miralax while Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

My Doc. said it would be ok to take Miralax to help with the constipation, but everything I have read online so far about the med,say I shouldn't take.  I found on one website that it is graded as "C" by the FDA for safety while pregnant.  The scale is A (safe), B, C, D, and then X (not safe at all).  

Should I consult my doctor again and ask why he thinks it is safe to take it?  In the mean time I have tried every thing possible on my own to help with the pregnancy constipation.  Are there any over the counter meds I can that are safe?  Are there any stool softeners that are safe to take as well?

Thank you all for your help, I have been struggling with this for the past 6 months!!
C means that they haven't done enough testing on it to deem it safe in pregnancy, therefore I myself would not take it.....Have you tried "Magic Mush"?  It's a mizture of prunejuice and branflakes (make it like a bowl of cereal).....It's not the tastiest but I'm a nurse and it works great for patients...juice a thought on something that is TOTALLY safe!
where can I get Magic Mush?
If you read above.....you take prunejuice and mix it with bran flakes.
My best friend takes Miralax and did throughout her whole pregnancy (she had her little boy in July). She never had any issues with it affecting the baby.
My sister took miralax during her pregnancy, the doctor said that its all about the dosage small amounts are ok just helping you go to the bathroom more, but large doses can cause abdominal cramps and can lead to contractions.
I have the same problem! Its aweful! My Dr. has me taking Colace, Metamucil (fiber), eating fiber 1 bars and fiber 1 cereal at least once a day (usually more) and said if things get to the point where I just can't handle it any more and I HAVE to go that I can take Exlax or Milk of Magnesia once a month (I've only done this once and I had some pretty nasty cramps after and an OVERLOAD of fiber seems to work just as well).
I think I will try that majic mush though,
I know how uncomfortable this is. I hope you find something that works and feel better soon
I was also told to take milk of magnesia if it persists, but only if really necessary
i just took 4 capfulls of miralax  yesterday and it worked but only a little. but that was yesterday, today i am experiencing gas and bloating im around 6 weeks pregnant. all i know is, is that im scared now to the point i will never take that much again. my doctor said it was safe but didnt tell me how much is dangerous. i have chronic constipation so it takes a little more of miralax to have any effect on me even before i was pregnant. im just wondering if im going to be okay and if my baby will be? i cant call my doctor till monday and its now saturday. any suggestions with chronic constipation?
I took miralax with my Daughter the whole time. I have chronic constpation anyway and have to take miralax or I literally never go. My doctor said that miralax is safe to take as long as taken as directed.
Miralax only gets absorbed in your bowels. It helps by pulling the water into your bowels to help you go and give you softer poop. It doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream so it won't harm the baby. Class C only means there hasn't been any studies showing there is side effects that will harm the fetus. Doctors prescribe it and suggest it because it is a non-stimulant if taken at the correct dosage. If you aren't sure about taking miralax while pregnant than ask your doctor, there are other OTC options as well.
I think you looking into, too hard. Just about everything you look up is gonna say pregnant women shouldn't take this or eat this. Personally miralax works pretty good for me. I most like the doctor know what he/she is talking about. Stool softeners work too.