Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Laying when pregnant..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Laying when pregnant..

Hi :) So Im 16 weeks & wondering all about laying..on your back & stomach. I sleep on my stomach (I dont really have a belly at all yet) & on my side..but mostly stomach. Sometimes its uncomfortable or a little painful so I move to my side..is it okay to still sleep on your belly?? And until how long? I read just until it isnt comfortable but it seems weird to be laying on the baby. Also whats the whole deal with laying on your back? I always lay in bed & watch TV or study before bed & in the morning..is this okay? And for how long? & like just lounging on the couch? is that alright?
I haven't been able to sleep in my stomach since I was around 12 weeks lol! feels weird now!
Doctors say its better if you sleep on your left side. Helps your blood circulation.
I was told no tummy or back sleeping after 16  weeks, only on your side. Left side is preferable because like Faye said, blood circulation to the baby.
I was told no stomach and no back. My dr. said that if you lay on your stomach that it can put pressure on baby and can some how restrict the growth some? Or something like that and no back because the baby falls back and can lay on your aeorta? some major vein or something. Idk confuses me. I will lay on my back on the couch or when hubby and i are layin in bed talkin or something. But I lay on my side, they say that is best!
no sleeping on the back because theres an important vein that the baby will put pressure on if ur laying flat. i was told that if i sleep with a pillow under one side of my  back then its ok. just as long as your not laying flat. im pretty sure u can sleep on ur belly for as long as you want but i would feel like im squishing the baby lol. sleeping on your left side is best like everyone else has said.
the major vein is called the vena cava if u want to look it up!
When do you have to stop doing all that though? When your bigger? Or just as soon as your pregnant?
I would stop now! It isnt good for the baby or you at all, it could hurt both of you. You can lay on your back like watching tv or what not but not sleep. Its best to lay on your side. Good luck momma!
umm the book im reading right now says to start sleeping on your side at 16 weeks. but it probably depends on the size of the baby/uterus.
You'll know when it's time to stop sleeping on your side.
It's mother's natural instinct to know when enough is enough.
I knew when it was time with my first pregnancy and I was 18 and didn't know SQUAT. lol
I did the same for this pregnancy.

I was never given a specific date as to when to stop.
I slept on my stomach till I was about 13 er 14 weeks with my first pregnancy. And stopped sleeping on my stomach around 15 er 16 weeks with this pregnancy.
It just becomes uncomfortable and doesn't feel good to do it.
After that I still slept on my stomach, but I pull up one of my knees towards me and kick my other leg straight out behind me so I was at an angle and not completely on my stomach.

I still sleep like that and I'm 35w4d now.
Although the bigger my stomach gets the more of an angle I'm at.
I tend to mostly sleep on my sides. I can't lay on my back even having something making me angled more towards a sitting position. I can't breathe.
But for some strange reason once a week or so I'll find sleeping flat on my back with my legs pretzled and my arms on my pillows above my head is most comfortable and I'll fall asleep that way. Ofcoarse when I wake up on back on my side but sometimes that happens and it's weird. lol

Docs always tell you on your left side because of circulation, but my doc says that you need to sleep whichever way is most comfortable to YOU. I honestly preferred my right side. But now that I'm getting really big, there's no such thing as comfortable anymore! lmao.

I have hip probs that started with my first pregnancy and my left side has always been more sensative than my right. That's why I preferred to lay on my right.
Do what you're most comfortable with. You natural instinct as a new mother will tell you what is right and what is wrong.
this is crazy! i didnt know about any of these things im guessing im still waiting for the appointment where my ob tells me what not to do lol....we didnt really talk about much at the consultation. i guess the down to business appt. is this month? im a first time mom so you'd think they would fill me in...but im high risk so there mostly just talking about my medical problems to me. i thought i knew a lot about pregnancy and i read a lot about it but i didnt know this....i guess i need some more books! thank god for medhelp!
My dr never had a what not to do conversation with me either. I just hear and read certain things & always have to inquire more. This is my first time too & I figured that I would atleast get a sheet from the dr about foods and stuff but never did..I guess they assum you know or something?!!! IDK ha. I wish my dr was way more informative.
Thanks! Thats kinda what I figured. Im not as concerned about the stomach sleeping thing as I am laying on my back..but I heard you'd pass out before the baby or something?! I sleep similar to you right now..with one leg kinda bent up on my stomach & it feels good. So until I feel uncomfortable Im staying that way!
I'm a stomach sleeper, but I find that using a body pillow helps me get comfortable enough to fall asleep on my side.  I do, however, catch myself still sleeping on my stomach at times - when I wake up in the middle of the night.  Once I notice I'm doing it, I roll back onto my side.  Old habits die hard, I guess!!
hello im 11w1d and I have scoliosis I tend to wake up on my stomach but once I get up my tight side cramps up my ob knows about my condition but she really didnt tell me how to lay I sometimes I lay on my back wit a pillow under  my legs cuz layn on my sides causes
my legs to go numb is there another way to lay witout hurtn myself or the baby